Remington 710 stock to a 700 stock

I'm sure the 783 action is ok... at least you can have some gunsmithing done on it...
I do believe Boyds makes stocks for them as well.

Id say as far as quality goes... probably a good first rifle. Not something that Id trust to rag on in the field....

After what I just received back from my gunsmith, I doubt I'll be buying new production weapons anymore... I'll buy a slightly used action and have him rework it, or overhaul what I currently have.

I'm sure the 783 action is ok... at least you can have some gunsmithing done on it...
I do believe Boyds makes stocks for them as well.

Id say as far as quality goes... probably a good first rifle. Not something that Id trust to rag on in the field....

After what I just received back from my gunsmith, I doubt I'll be buying new production weapons anymore... I'll buy a slightly used action and have him rework it, or overhaul what I currently have.

This has been my MOS for years. Why pay new prices when you can buy cheap used...Until 2013/2014. When used prices started exceeding new prices for 700's. You would have thought they were stopping production. It was ridiculous. At that point it was cheaper and easier to go buy a new $379 ADL special and build off of, than it was to try to find a "cheap" used one, that people were wanting $375-425 for them. At that point I really stopped looking for a while. The last cheap used ADL I bought was in 2013, and I paid $350 out the door (inc. tax) and it became my .30-06 AI. I haven't been able to find a cheap one since.

I hear ya... ADLS at my LGS are around 479.99 +tx
Blued and a *** Chinese wonder scope on top.
They are bringing the 700 Long Range in for about 679.99 + tx.
The **** stock alone is worth 250-300.
Honestly temped to buy one JUST for the action... and the stock would go on my overhauled weapon.
I need a 7 Rem Mag in the Long Range series like a hole in the head... but the pieces by themselves cost more than the complete package.

I hear ya... ADLS at my LGS are around 479.99 +tx
Blued and a *** Chinese wonder scope on top.
They are bringing the 700 Long Range in for about 679.99 + tx.
The **** stock alone is worth 250-300.
Honestly temped to buy one JUST for the action... and the stock would go on my overhauled weapon.
I need a 7 Rem Mag in the Long Range series like a hole in the head... but the pieces by themselves cost more than the complete package.

If you do, and decide to sell the new factory 26" heavy 7mmRM barrel, let me know. It would make for cheap HB to stick on my A-Bolt II "Brownington". I want to swap the sporter barrel off of it to a heavy for LR shooting, since I don't have a heavy 7RM.

I thought about a 26" Proof Research barrel, to put a new spin on an old rifle (remember when Remington and Browning offered the Christiansen Arms barrels on factory rifles back around 2000?), but $900 for a barrel blank kind of took the wind out of my sails.

New stainless M700 actions can be had for around $400 now. Other than the action most throw everything else away on a M700 so to me it's a no brainer to just purchase the action to build from. A couple of years ago I bought a short action chrome moly ADL for $380 to build from, today I'd just buy the stainless action instead.

What is with all the hate for the 710? I know Marine Scout Snipers that love them and I own two. One in 270 win and 300 win mag. I will admit the scope mount is weak but once you change that out to a picatiny rail you are good to go! Mount what you want where you want to. The best feature is the drop magazine, as you can carry a spare mag with you QUIETLY. Otherwise you have keep a garand clip full in your pocket. Add a muzzle brake and and you get EXTREME accuracy. Try to remember the game fellas-keep the money in your pocket and spend it on your OPTICS. I use a NCSTAR 6-24x50 AO on both of mine and I cannot complain. IF I have to buy another rifle for hunting, it will be a 783(I like cheap dates). You can spend ALOT more on your rifle but think about he gunsmithing cost on being able to change the barrel-that is at least three to four Benjamins, and I get to buy a new rifle when you still have a worn out, sloppy action and a beat up stock!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.