Remington 700 SPS Varmint - New Stock

novaman64

Heres my SPS varmint, was shooting good, but would throw the occasional flier, best group shot was a .38 but was averaging .7, all sub-moa but I wanted more.

The purpose of this rifle is sort of all around, occasional bench shooting, nailing coyotes that are pickin off livestock and a few times a year out hunting for deer or wild pig. While I want this to be accurate I like light too.

Started with a Remington 700 SPS-V since is came in the caliber I wanted (.243 win) and was a good action to start on. I since purchased a used Bell & Carlson Varmint Light stock, which has alum pillars in it, I bedded it with accuglass opened it up to fit the varmint barrel and free floated it. Now this is the same stock that comes on the Remington LVSF, which is a ADL bottomplate, unfortunately B&C didnt make this as a BDL floorplate stock. Since I had my heart set on this stock because of weight and rigidity I decided to throw it on the mill and open up the bottom to accept my floorplate. I then got rid of my steel base and leupold rings and just recently threw on the DNZ 1 piece low scope mount, its very light and extremely rigid, should work out great when the goin gets rough. Next step is to shorten the barrel down to 24" and have it flutted. After that a trigger and a conversion to detachable magazine.

left.jpg

right.jpg

The BDL floorplate in my once ADL stock...
floorplate.jpg

And my new scope mount...
dnzmount.jpg

You've got a great platform from which to start. How does it shoot now that it has a decent stock and has been bedded?

I'm currently building a rifle from the same starting - Rem700SPSV but mine is in .308. For a bone stock rifle right now it shoots pretty well at .65moa.

Havent gotten out to the range yet, things have been hectic at work. Going to try and sneak out tomorrow during lunch.

Unfortunately my range outing was inconclusive. It was very windy (25 mph cross wind with 35mph gusts) Not so much worries that the bullet would be moving that much, according to the ballistics tables 10mph @ 100 yards is .6 inches so based on 25mph wind with 35mph gusts my groups should on vary at a max by .6 laterally, where the twist came was the fact that the **** target was swaying back and forth with the wind. One big gust actually knocked it over! Need to talk to the range about maybe replacing there targets with something a little more sturdy...l.

Thought I would light-up an old thread.

Any updates on this rifle? Hopefully you have continued to upgrade the rifle and have some great stories to tell.

It was a great shooter and took out a good amount of yotes. I ended up re-barreling it to 260 (benchmark SS fluted 26") and threw a mcmillan stock on it. Was a tack driver. gun)

Ended up selling it and bought a couple Tikka T3 Lites. One in 223 that I chopped the barrel at 16" (truck/calling/varmint gun) and the other I bought was a 7mag in teh special sportsmans warehouse dition (fluted SS). THose Tikka shoot lights out, out of the box they shoot almost as well as my customized remmy's. Plus love the buttery smooth actions and detachable mags.

Soon as I pay off my Duramax, gonna try and find another 700 action, I want to build a 338...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts