Remington SPS Varmint 243 Win

Cordell

Here is my Rem 700 SPS Varmint in 243 Win. Bell & Carlson Stock with aluminum bedding block Karston check piece, Vortex PST Viper 6-24x50mm. These are the first few shots through the rifle. The paper target with grid shows shots 2-8 (a 7 shot group) at 100 yards. I shot and cleaned for the first 4 then ran a bore snake every 2 shots after that. 10 more rounds to go for the break in and I will do some testing. These rounds are 43 grs H4831 with Berger 95 gr bullets at 2811 fps. So far I am very happy with the set up; I hope the groups will get smaller as the barrel gets some use.

DSCN0361_3264x2448.jpg

DSCN0362_3264x2448.jpg

Have you tried H4350? it would likely provide you with an increase in velocity.

Trebark,

I have not tried H4350 the two powders are very close in FPS but the H4831 has a higher load density and I've always had good results with it. I am on the low end of the scale at this time as I see no point to trying to work up a max load as the barrel will get faster as it wears in. And who knows I may stick with the 43 gr load once I have 100+ rounds through it, i will have to wait and see how things shake out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.