Remington 700 long range rechamber to 30/375 ruger question.

smithjasona1978

Hi. I am wanting a rifle in 30/375 ruger. I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money to get it. I want to try one out and see if I like the cartridge.
I am going to use a remmy 700 long range for this project. And I haven't bought one yet. So my question is, what caliber will be easier to rechamber to 30/375 ruger??? 30/06, or 300 win mag???
According to all of the specs I can find online the two rifles are identical except for the chambering. Same barrel length and twist. But the part I don't know is, is the magazine box the same length? Is the bolt face the same diameter? I know that if I use a 300 win mag the barrel will need to be set back a couple of threads before reaming the new chamber. If I start with a 30/06 will the barrel still need set back, or can I just cut the new chamber, set headspace and go shooting??? If that is the case I can do it myself.
Does anyone make a barrel setback cutter for Remington barrels? I saw one on Brownells but it is for revolver barrels.

The bolt face is not the same. The 06 doesn't have a magnum bolt face, the 300's you're talking about will require it.

Easiest in the long run would probably be to go with the 300wm if it's already a long action magnum action.

There are some cooler, newer 30's out there but the 300wm is probably the most proven magnum caliber around the world.

I'm a 7mm STW nut but I also own 300wm's for one simple reason, "The 300wm is never the wrong answer".

The 300/375Ruger is a wildcat but it's one of the better/sexier 30 cal's out there but you will have to get custom dies for it and there's not much load data out there for you to work with as it's still pretty new.

I shoot the 375 Ruger and I gotta tell you, it's a whole lot of fun. The current one I have is in their "Alaskan" model with the 20's barrel and I like it well enough that I'm probably going to do a remodel on one of my existing 300wm's with a 28" Bull magnum contour barrel for a long range rig. Even without the muzzle brake the recoil even with 300gr bullets really isn't all that bad and I put a Northwest Precision muzzle brake on (have it on 7 other rifles) and it took it from being a gun I didn't mind shooting to one I love shooting.

What's the purpose of this rifle? Hunting, if so what? long range plinking?

Ok, so I can just get a different bolt. But I still can't figure out if the barrel of a 30/06 will need to be set back a couple of threads before reaming the new chamber.

Ok, so I can just get a different bolt. But I still can't figure out if the barrel of a 30/06 will need to be set back a couple of threads before reaming the new chamber.
That's a gunsmit question but I'd say probably not compare the case dimensions but I think you'll find you've got extra meat to work all the way around so it may not be necessary.

You don't have to replace the bolt, just replace the bolt body or have the smith open it up, go with what he/she prefers.

I built a 30-375 about a year before the 26 Nosler came out, if the Nosler had been out when I built the 30-375 I would have necked the 26 Nosler up to 30 because I have better luck with Nosler brass than Hornady. The 30-375 is a decent performer out to 1,000 yards and it sports a 22 inch barrel.

Now you have Nosler making 30 Nosler brass and dies are available so I think it is a no brainer to go with a 30-Nosler than a 30-375 Ruger, the Nosler seems to have a grain or two more capacity but they are very close to ballistic twins.

You'd have to alter the feed rails to get a magnum case to feed correctly in a non magnum action too. If it was me I'd buy the 700LR and sell the barrel. Then buy a good barrel and have it chambered into what you want. The gunsmithing cost will be about the same the only difference is the cost of the barrel versus what you sell the new take off barrel for. To me I'd spend the 200-250.00 difference in a heartbeat to get a custom barrel in the contour and twist I wanted. Plus the odds of it shooting better than the factory barrel is pretty high. I think I'd lean towards the 30 Nosler too just because it's easy. There is factory brass and dies so there is no case forming and no custom dies needed.

Yeah I considered the 30 Nosler, but I don't want to pay that much for brass. Dollar a piece for Hornady, 2.72 a piece for Nosler. Nosler brass is better, but its not that much better.

When you figure you can reload good brass 8-10 times how many pieces of brass do you need, especially at 30 Nosler size. I had to buy custom dies for my 30-375 and bring the neck down in four steps. The price difference between custom dies and off the shelf dies will probably offset the cost of the brass, if not the wait for custom dies and he price difference will.

Do you ever sell your guns? I would hazard a guess that a 30 Nosler will have more buyers looking than a wildcat.

Do you plan on hunting in another country with the gun? I have had difficulty taking ammo with a gun when the stamp on the brass did not match that on the barrel, even as easy as 280 stamped brass and 280 AI on the barrel. A big 30 would be a nice addition on a hunt to Africa, or to Canada for bears of either color.

Getting to be a no-brainer more and more.

The decision is yours to make just adding somethings to ponder before pulling the trigger.

wade

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.