Remington 700 long action maximum length restrictions???

tacsniper0888

Hey guys. I'm currently in the process of rebarrelling my Remington 700 Sendero that is currently a .338 win mag. More than likely I'm going to replace the factory tube with a Lilja but one member recommended instead of rebarrelling in .338 win mag go with .338 ultra mag for better ballistics and would love to do this if it will work with my current bolt which had the magnum bolt face for the win mag cartridge. I purchased a PT&G one piece fluted bolt from Dave Kiff out at PT&G and can't send it back. Also being as I am rebarrelling can I use a .375 CheyTac or a .408 CheyTac cartridge in a standard Remington 700 long action receiver with the appropriate caliber barrel or are they too long? What about rebarrelling in .338 Lapua? Suggestions guys. Thanks for the info.

Hey guys. I'm currently in the process of rebarrelling my Remington 700 Sendero that is currently a .338 win mag. More than likely I'm going to replace the factory tube with a Lilja but one member recommended instead of rebarrelling in .338 win mag go with .338 ultra mag for better ballistics and would love to do this if it will work with my current bolt which had the magnum bolt face for the win mag cartridge. I purchased a PT&G one piece fluted bolt from Dave Kiff out at PT&G and can't send it back. Also being as I am rebarrelling can I use a .375 CheyTac or a .408 CheyTac cartridge in a standard Remington 700 long action receiver with the appropriate caliber barrel or are they too long? What about rebarrelling in .338 Lapua? Suggestions guys. Thanks for the info.

I just posted the answer in you're other thread:rolleyes: Guess I didn't see this one. The Ultra WILL work with your new bolt, no problem as the RUM has a rebated rim meaning it is smaller than the diameter of the case. No to your second answer, the Remmy 700 is not a viable cadidate for the cheytac case. You would have to buy a new bolt or have your smith open the bolt face to accommodate the Lapua as the rim dimension are larger than the RUM or Win Mags.

Thanks outlaw! What would be a suitable action to start with for a CheyTac build? And would the Lapua be a better way to go than the .338 RUM or should I go with a .300 RUM since I can then use a 3 groove Lilja barrel instead of a 6 groove? Thanks.

There are pro's & con's to both. I pesonally went with the 338 RUM as I feel it is a better fit for the 700 action. The RUM will do anything perfomance wise that the Lapua will do. The Lapua brass is REALLY bad *** & is going to last longer than the Remington brass but it is 2x the cost as well. With good prep & sorting the Rem brass has been pretty dern good.

Most of the action manufacturers that I've researched have CheyTac specific actions. Those being bigger, longer, more robust & more expensive :D

gun)

I was just thinking of something along the same lines. Using a trimmed 300 Ultra Magnum with 750gr A-Max Bullets but at a much lower velocity 1600fps-1800fps. I just thought that the C.O.A.L would still be to long at 4.0"-4.5" unless it was a single shot. Please let me know if its possible for this to work as a repeater. As a Remington 700 or clone is much lighter and more cost efficient than a big 408 Cheytac or 50 BMG action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.