REMINGTON 721 long action fit in 700 LA stock?

23ELKHUNTER

I bought a long action 721 .270 and was wondering if it will fit into a Mcmillan drop in ready 700 long action stock? I have a timney trigger, and am wondering what will be needed to be done to stock or the tang of action? Or if I would be better off buying 700 300win and start there?
I am building a 300 win mag. Not sure if I want the bottom metal or Wyatt magazine box that fits into the 700 stock.
thanks Jim

The 721 is a great action, and would be an awesome action for a .280 AI or .25-06 AI build down the line (hint, hint ;))...

Also, to answer your question, the 721 WILL fit in a 700 stock, but will require some trimming and fitting for it to fit properly, as it is slightly different than the 700.

But for a custom tactical/long range .300WM build, I think you would be better off to put the 721 in the safe for now, and buy you a cheap used 700 magnum (7mmRM or 300WM), and start from there. Especially since parts are so easily and readily available for the 700. You should be able to find a cheap used ADL or BDL at a pawn shop for $300-400 and start from there. That's what I do instead of buying new bare actions, I go for the cheap used ADL option, because I can find them around here for $300-350 out the door, and I can still turn around and disassemble the action and sell the old parts for about $50-100, and be money-ahead. You do this, and you're at $200 for the action, then $150 for a new ADL-to-BDL conversion from Brownells, $125 for a Timney trigger, $45 for a stainless PTG .250" tapered lug, and then the rest is stock, barrel blank, and smithing fees. You can build a custom 700 for under a $1000 (not including optics).

Mudrunner, that is almost to a t, what a local gun smith told me. I have the timney trigger, sightron scope and the McMillan stock.
I think I might just sell the 721 action though. I should be able get my $150 out of it and put that twds my build.
Thanks for you input. I do have the 721 action for sale if you know anyone who might be interested.
Thanks again

Mudrunner, that is almost to a t, what a local gun smith told me. I have the timney trigger, sightron scope and the McMillan stock.
I think I might just sell the 721 action though. I should be able get my $150 out of it and put that twds my build.
Thanks for you input. I do have the 721 action for sale if you know anyone who might be interested.
Thanks again
If I had the cash, I'd snag it from you in a heartbeat...But alas, I'm not able to swing it right now. It would be awesome for a .280 AI build...Which is what I want my next build to be.

BAE2F6E1-6928-4DD6-BEB6-F325692517E0.jpeg
FE16AA6A-336C-44A6-BA89-DFFFDCD8BC27.jpeg
DC5ED921-0262-46D4-BF72-2D0098C0370A.jpeg
I just built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a 721 action. Used a manners T2 inletted for a 700LA and fits perfect. Changed the bolt for a PTG mini M-16 fluted bolt and installed EGW-HD 20MOA Picatinny for 700 LA. All pieces were drop in. I only had to trim a little on the action where the safe goes to get a jewel trigger installed. Other than that I had no problems. Even the AI mag feed flawlessly.

I also have a 338 LM on a 721 action and works perfectly. Same stock I just left the factory trigger on this one. No need to cut the tang area.

View attachment 82814 View attachment 82815 View attachment 82817 I just built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a 721 action. Used a manners T2 inletted for a 700LA and fits perfect. Changed the bolt for a PTG mini M-16 fluted bolt and installed EGW-HD 20MOA Picatinny for 700 LA. All pieces were drop in. I only had to trim a little on the action where the safe goes to get a jewel trigger installed. Other than that I had no problems. Even the AI mag feed flawlessly.

I also have a 338 LM on a 721 action and works perfectly. Same stock I just left the factory trigger on this one. No need to cut the tang area.
Very nice. I have some options then. Thanks for your reply

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts