Remington 700 factory trigger?

I do all my own, and I love the old factory Walker triggers (which is what I have in most of my rifles), but unless someone knows what they're doing, I don't recommend messing with a trigger. You can make one unsafe in about 1/16 of a turn...
I've been using the walker trigger for over 50 years now. Cofusing things have been said about the walkers, if they are kept up any with the proper maintainance they will last a long time. The old ones with the 2 position safety are the ones to watch for. Be sure not to ever adjust your cocking sear, a lot of times when i trace these problems down, in every case the sear was adjusted along with the trigger pull. These are 2 seperate screws and the trigger pull was adjusted below 2 pounds, each time. There is a lot of negative things that will be said about the walkers and it it makes you feel better change it. But i have proved to people that winchester, and savage can be made to go off also, NEVER adjust you COCKING SEAR, ever. If you adjust the cocking sear, it will go off unexpectingly when racking your bolt or bumping your butt plate against the floor.
The one case on tv that got a lot of publicity when the mother shot her son thru the cattle trailer, the gun was stored in a barn, and during a later interview her husband admitted that he had made adjustments to the gun. The trigger sear was rusty.
This was not so much about gun safety as the way for the networks but the way to go for gun control in everyday peoples mind. Funny that they never posted this retraction on the networks

I've been using the walker trigger for over 50 years now. Cofusing things have been said about the walkers, if they are kept up any with the proper maintainance they will last a long time. The old ones with the 2 position safety are the ones to watch for. Be sure not to ever adjust your cocking sear, a lot of times when i trace these problems down, in every case the sear was adjusted along with the trigger pull. These are 2 seperate screws and the trigger pull was adjusted below 2 pounds, each time. There is a lot of negative things that will be said about the walkers and it it makes you feel better change it. But i have proved to people that winchester, and savage can be made to go off also, NEVER adjust you COCKING SEAR, ever. If you adjust the cocking sear, it will go off unexpectingly when racking your bolt or bumping your butt plate against the floor.
The one case on tv that got a lot of publicity when the mother shot her son thru the cattle trailer, the gun was stored in a barn, and during a later interview her husband admitted that he had made adjustments to the gun. The trigger sear was rusty.
This was not so much about gun safety as the way for the networks but the way to go for gun control in everyday peoples mind. Funny that they never posted this retraction on the networks
I've been saying that for years, but it appears that nobody has ever seen the admission from the husband later on that he had screwed with the trigger...They've only seen the first part that was all over 60 Minutes. I've had people argue with me for pages on end, that it was ALL the trigger, and that it could have been fixed for $0.05 each, and Mike Walker knew about it, and blah blah blah... That ****ed me off so bad when that article came out admitting the dad caused it, because of how they tried to destroy Mike Walker over their own stupidity and negligence, and all the sheep just went along with it. Basic friggin gun safety could have prevented that death... 1) Make sure the **** gun is unloaded when not in use. 2) If it is loaded, make sure it's pointed in a safe direction. 3) If you want to leave a round in the chamber of a 700, but don't want to leave the gun cocked, you can always de-cock the rifle by opening the bolt, holding the trigger down (while the bolt is open), and then slowly closing the bolt, while holding the trigger down. It drops the firing pin, but you still have a round in the chamber. If you've never done this, practice with an empty rifle first (gun safety first and foremost).

Yep, I always do the bounce test and the bolt slam test. All mine pass, and break like crystal at around 2 to 2.5 lbs. :cool:

Last edited:
The ones made back in the 60, and 70's are the ones that had this problem. I had one recalled in 1983 from remington. All remingtons made after this time you do not have to take it off safety to unload it.
Safety should be between your ears with any gun not just the remingtons, but any of them.
I have 10 model 700s and 1 model seven, but i don't load Any gun until i get ready to use it. None have ever went off, by themselves.

They aren't near as bad as people make them out to be. Just remember to properly adjust a xMark don't waste your time on that bottom screw on there trigger shoe. Take thevvarreled action out of stock and adjust the screw on the front of the trigger l. You should be able to atleast get a safe 3lbs.

I have many semi-custom Rem rifles. Several have high end aftermarket triggers and they're great. But you can have Neil Jones rework your Rem trigger for about $70 and he can reduce the pull weight down to 1.5lbs safely. Just ship him the trigger and it will return in a few weeks finished.

I had Neil Jones work a X Mark Pro trigger that came on an action that I didn't want to spend the money for an aftermarket trigger. I'm very happy with the trigger, to be honest it feels as good as my Triggertech and Jewells. I just took it off and sent it to him with a check, in a couple of weeks I got it back and had it installed 10 minutes later. I told him 1.5 lbs and as crisp as he could make it, he did what I asked. I'd highly recommend this route if you're on a budget, I'd be perfectly happy with this trigger on any rifle I've got.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.