Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag Police

806guns

I purchased this Remington 700 7mm rem mag police model from a friend. Very low round count. Mounted a SWFA 10x42 on top. Sighted in using some older Winchester 150gr ammo shoots about 1 moa at 100 yards. I plan on hunting and doing some 1000 yard target practice with this rifle. Currently I have some Peterson brass, Wolf magnum primers, 162gr eld m and Retumbo powder. Wanting to try 175-180gr but not 100% they will stabilize in this rifle. Any tips ?
D2FD4F6A-746C-441D-A007-7733E3FEE679.jpeg

What is the actual round count?
If it's around 100, the barrel should have "stabilized" for a true load workup.
If the brass is new, those need to be fire formed at least once to get them to settle in. Pick some load in a ladder test that shows future promise and start shooting. After that, repeat a ladder test to see if there is a great place to settle in a final load.
I think this rifle is capable of less than 1" groups. It may take more than a good load, maybe stock work, trigger, etc...

What is the actual round count?
If it's around 100, the barrel should have "stabilized" for a true load workup.
If the brass is new, those need to be fire formed at least once to get them to settle in. Pick some load in a ladder test that shows future promise and start shooting. After that, repeat a ladder test to see if there is a great place to settle in a final load.
I think this rifle is capable of less than 1" groups. It may take more than a good load, maybe stock work, trigger, etc...
Im going to say less than that. There is no brass marks on the bolt face or the bolt body.

Mounted a SWFA 10x42 on top.

While the military thinks 10x is enough for shooting at longer ranges, some of us actually need a bit more in order to shoot well at 1,000 yards.

Sighted in using some older Winchester 150gr ammo shoots about 1 moa at 100 yards.

"Some older..." Most of us use the ammunition and bullets which we choose to shoot at the longer ranges, not just what we have on hand. Different bullets and the loads they like will shoot differently. Try a VLD bullet and see where the POI prints on the target.

If you want to use the same bullet for both target and hunting, the Berger 175 gr. Elite Hunter can work well. Berger suggests a 1:9" twist rate for full BC but you will only lose a few BC points in your 1:9-1/4 twist rate.

Lighter bullets such as the Accubonds or the ELD-X might perform well also. For strictly hunting the Partitions are excellent.

I have used the Badlands 150 gr. but these need a faster twist rate so you can't use these.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Fixing to load some 162 Eld-X in my 26" R700 with Ramshot magnum, Wolf magnum primers and Peterson brass. Most all my rifles I start with a .015 jump. What ladder test do you do on these magnum calibers ? Load data is 66.4gr (2,653fps) to 73.8gr (2,959fps)

I run about same gun as you have there but the long range model. It absolutely loves H4831 and 168s. Also run Peterson brass too. I can tell you it took a couple firings on that brass before it settled in good but it's great stuff.

Loaded some rounds looking for pressure signs with peterson brass so far its looking good. Looks like an error with the 66.5 load on the chrono.

26" Remington700 7mm Rem mag
162 gr eld x to lands 3.367"
Loaded to 3.347"
Ramshot magnum

66 2761
66.5 2820
67 2784
67.5 2842
68 2869
68.5 2881
69 2883
69.5 2884
70 2903
70.5 2918

If you want more speed the hornady book shows a few other powders at about 1-200fps faster (RL23 & H1000 for example). My son shot an antelope with that bullet this year out of my 280ai at 2930fps muzzle velocity (overkill I know but there was a last min issue with his 270). The bullet worked perfect at 187yds.

If you want more speed the hornady book shows a few other powders at about 1-200fps faster (RL23 & H1000 for example). My son shot an antelope with that bullet this year out of my 280ai at 2930fps muzzle velocity (overkill I know but there was a last min issue with his 270). The bullet worked perfect at 187yds.
Thanks for the info. As we all know powder is hard to come by. So im pretty stuck with the magnum currently. I believe the 2883 fps poad at 69gr will be my go to this year for Aoudad and deer at over 150 yards. How did the bullet preform ?

Thanks for the info. As we all know powder is hard to come by. So im pretty stuck with the magnum currently. I believe the 2883 fps poad at 69gr will be my go to this year for Aoudad and deer at over 150 yards. How did the bullet preform ?
Bullet was great he clipped the back of the shoulder so it openned up and left a tennis ball sized hole through the ribs on both sizes destroying the lungs. The shock it delivered was impressive but definately not a meat saver if you were to hit something dead in a shoulder.

Recent Posts