remington .308 sps

foreign

hey everyone. great site. just started looking into longer range shooting. very interested in going down that road. i have a standard remington .308sps, i know its not the best of rifles for the purpose but i was wondering what can be done to them to shoot well what the limitations are that everyone recons on distance with one and if anyone else out there is using a standard model. i have lightened the trigger, shoot 150spbt(hornady). not sure of speed about 2900 i recon is about right with the load im running.
aw and what do people thing of the burris fullfield 4.5*14*42 with b-plex. just got one for it since the other package one died in the rain.
cheers

Shoot what you have man, I shoot for my long range rig right now a factory contoured Model 70 300WSM Classic, granted it has a magnum contoured barrel but not a super heavy rig. The Burris is decent glass, I have owned quite a few of the less magnifications (3x9) the only thing I can fault them on is the European Style magnification adjustment, so now I shoot Zeiss :D, but really as long as you are out shooting you can shoot that factory rifle until you outgrow it. I had the very model you have but in 243 and it shot sub moa with handloads all day long, just becareful the thin barrel will heat up and start to walk if it's not floated. But have fun!

I have the same rifle and caliber too! It looks like you've already done some good things to make it shoot better, but I would highly recommend getting a quality stock. Mcmillan and H-S Precision are some great brands to look at. The main reason for buying a new one is that the factory stock touches the barrel, this decreases accuracy when weather changes or when the barrel heats up. Also, you can talk with your local gunsmith about what you can do to further accurize the rifle.

Regarding max effective range, you really have to decide that for yourself based on the ballistic data out to a given distance, how well you can place bullets on top of eachother on that range, and what type of game (if any) that you are shooting at. Just make sure you fire your rifle at the range at the distances you will be shooting at in the field.

Bullets with high ballistic coefficients are best for long range shooting so try looking for those. If you are having trouble finding them then google the program called "Shoot! ballistic program." It tells you the BCs of factory loads for tons of calibers. Also, try and stick with the heavier bullets (170-180gr) because the factory barrel has a 1 in 10" twist so it will shoot those better than the lighter 150 gr bullets you are using.

Overall it is a great out-of-the-box rifle that can have numerous customizations done to it, but the most important thing to do would be to shoot regularly. Even though the .308 doesn't have the punch that many of the newer magnums have, it makes up for it in accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.