Rem 721: Anyone Build one?

A friend of mine has done several builds on 721 actions, they look essentially no different than a 700 long action. They generally shot as well as builds on 700's.

I have a 270 Allen Magnum built on a Rem 721. It looks like any other remington except the bolt handle is different and the trigger is ancient....... I highly recommend a different trigger.

BTW, it shoots awesome!!!!!

A good friend of mine is looking rebuilding his. I've told him that sky is the limit but I think he just wants to turn it into a solid hunting rifle. Basically use the action and that's it.

That's why I'm looking for pictures of 721 projects.

Here's a pic

Sky-Shot-to-work-on.jpg

The only difference between the 721 and the 700 is the number. I have a 300 wsm built on a 722 which is the short action version of your 721. I swapped in a trigger and firing pin and spring and had the action blueprinted and cerakoted. Looks just like the 700 and shoots just as well. That rifle is a true 1/4 moa rifle. They make great actions to build from.

I have built three 721's and they are every bit as good as the 700's. The only difference in the two are the safety, trigger, and the extractor is not as good as the 700. If you build one, I would replace the trigger, at least put in a 700 extractor or better yet, have a Sako installed, and make sure the smith blueprints the action. Some of the old 721's were a little more true than certain vintage 700's. Good luck with your build.......Rich

The above posts aren't wrong. I have two 721s and two 722s all built into custom rifles. Some have been blue printed and some have not. The ones that haven't will shoot very well also. They must be pretty straight already. You won't be sorry with a 721.

I have an awesome 6br on a 722 action that has a Hart barrel installed by R.W. Hart.
I put a jewel trigger on it and put it in a Boyds laminated stock. What an incredible squirrel killin machine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.