Rem 700 5R and Spuhr Rings

yakyakgoose

Hi I am trying to build a light weight long range rifle that I can use for both hunting and long range tactical matches. I understand it wont be the best for either but just looking to be able to use it for both.

That being said Ive purchased myself a Remington 700 5R in 300 win mag along with a Vortex PST FFP 4-16x 50. I got he scope mounted with the Spuhr 30mm setup and my cheek weld is way too low now. I have about a centimeter of unused scope clearance but it cant be used due to the Spuhr mount design.

So my question is am I somehow losing something by having to use a cheek riser or adjustable stock and so should get different rings? Or, use the Spuhr mount and get an adjustable stock?

What say you internet?

Pretty much any rifle needs an adjustable cheek piece either the velcro stock pack type like a triad tactical or the bolt on style such as a defensive edge, especially using a 50mm scope.

yakyakgoose, I'm also a big fan of the Triad Cheek pads! I have them on almost all my rifles, including my Remmy 5R 300WM w/ NF NXS 50mm. Mine don't have the side pouches, but, those are available too. I don't have any of the bolt on style, but have used them on a friends rifle, but, personally I prefer the Triad stock pads. Idaho-5R

I just put a Karsten cheek rest on a Rem 5R .308. It was easy to install using a drill press. Fit is near perfect.

Attachments

• image-4270090685.jpg
    image-4270090685.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts