Reloads For 6.5x284 custom

JWH Clark

Hi Guys

Ok im new to the long range scene (Dont shoot over 300 yards apart from sniping bunnies with the .223)I have had a new rifle built on a Sako L691 action with a 1-9 Lother Walther tube, mcmillan HTG etc. I am looking for info on loads for Deer here in the UK. I have been using a .243 and .308 for 15 years or so, so not a complete newbie.

Any info appreciated thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome to the forum, If you do a search, you should find alot of information here on this round, there is also a very good article on the 6mmBR forum, here's the link:

http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

As your username is familiar on other UK sites, so you might be aware I have a similar set up with a .291" nk.

Current deer load is 49g of H4350 under a 140 SST gives me 2870fps.
For target work I use 48.5g of H3831SC under a 142 SMK giving me 2670fps - a bit slow, but using any more powder (half a grain) starts showing serious pressure. I intend to try 4350 or Vit 160 as an alternative to 4831SC, but have yet to find the time for load development.

You should like this round, it really is easy to load, **** accurate and has the legs to enable you to reach out to extended range deer with relative ease. (providing you have rangefinder, ballistics table and can read the wind) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Howdy to all,

yes I know of a few of you likewise. This is a new cal for me after getting rid of my 6.5x55 Swede (Perhaps I shouldnt mention that name!) I really want it for a bit of fun target work and like has been mention open hill stalking.

Welcome here, you may have seen me as Tikka 260 elsewhere, an occasional poster on MS , and I second the motion to leave swedes, turnips and all other 'vegetables' out of this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sorry I can't help with your loads; but the links provided will hopefully have given you some good leads.
ATB

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts