Reloads for 300 RUM with Barnes TSX

tdv75098

I need some help with accuracy and velocity using the 180gr Barnes TSX. They are being troublesome for accuracy at high velocity. My rifle is a Remington 700 BDL SS factory. I hunt in the Panhandle area of north Texas and Oklahoma and the shots can be very long. I love the nosler bullets but I get less meat destruction with the barnes bullets. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can we get some more info? How far off the lands are you? What velocity are they going? What Powder are you using and have you tried other ones? You might want to even try the 200gr TSX or the 200gr Accubond. With the 200 TSX I was able to drive them at 3000 fps from a 300 Win Mag with good accuracy.

Tom Van,
Forget the barnes 180tsx if you want to
shoot a good group,try a 180 Accubond or
scirocco or a 200 Accubond.the 180 barnes
did not shoot out of my gun either because
they left the muzzle at about 170 gr.leaving
a copper mess like noneother behind,no wonder
they make CR-10
B
Try RL-25 for powder

[ 09-16-2004: Message edited by: brian b ]

Tomvan, Ignore they barnes anti-accuracy hoopla. What you need to realize is you are shooting a factory barrel. This is not a diss, remington has pounded out some super shooters, but you are dealing with a barrel that needs a little T&C to spit the best groups. First, you need to clean your barrel shiny, most of the time this isn't recommended, if you leave conventional bullet material (ie, nosler partition, accubond, hornady sst...) in the bore it will 'grab' at the relativly softer Barnes bullet material, cause severe copper fouling (as i suspect was Brian's problem) and do funky things on paper. Make sure you do not have you're bullets within 5 thou. of your lands as this, for some odd reason, has always done accuracy a diservice with x-bullets. Also I have noticed with the TSX and XLC's the prefer faster burning powder (for the cartridge) than would normally be recommended. Try H1000, H4831, IMR4831 and IMR7828. These have done well for me, and a couple others in that certridge. In a factory gun it's always what 'vibrates' best. Good luck and don't give up on the Big B's TSX, it is an incredably accurate Bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.