Reloading the 30-06 Rem. 760 pump

My dad bought one over 50 yrs ago. He could never get it to group under 3 inches at 100 yds. Often 5 inches. He sure killed a lot of game with it. Good timber gun and it might surprise you,at longer ranges. Bruce

Reloaded for the Rem 760 BDL for many years in 30-06.

I used RCBS small base Sizer Die set

I used IMR 4350 with 165 Sierra GK

57.5 with 165gr

56.0 with 180gr

Win Brass
Fed 210 Match Primer

Mild crimp with Lee Factory Crimp Die

Early on I counted how many times the brass was loaded,,,, Never seemed to stretch and the Lee crimp die, case wear is not much of an issue. I set calipers at max and lock them. if I have a no go case it goes off to the side at first inspection. {rare}

+1 on alaska's load.

Do not reload a 760/742 without FL SB sizing.
56gr 4350, WW case, #210 primer and 180gr SGK all the way. If you hunt real cold weather switch to a CCI #250 LRM or Rem 9 1/2M LR primer. This load will deliver.

Bought my 742 new from Sears in 1971 and developed some of my first reloads with it. That rifle delivered a 1" group with 10 consecutive shots using Sierra 150gr SpFB and DuPont 4064- don't remember the load. It would shoot the 56gr 4350/ 180gr SGK- 10 into 1 1/4". Lots of bolt guns at the range could not do that in 1971. I'd say with a tweeked load it will do 500yds all day long.

KB

Thanks for all the info. Bought my friends 760 Rem. pump. It is a BDL model with the basket weave checkering. Loaded up some 165gr Sierra G.K. bullets, in Winchester brass, CCI BR2 primers and 6 rounds each 56, 56.5 and 57gr. IMR 4350 powder. Went to the range and it looks like 56.5 grs. of the 4350 is a peach. 3/4 inch group @ 100 yards. Why go any more.

I am curious if people are loading towards land, similr to bolts. If not, why not? I am loading to the length Nosler specifies.

I am getting 1"-1 1/4, with partion 180s and IMR4350, 54.5 to 55.5. Having trouble settling on load. Leaning towards 54.8 or 54.5. Need to see what it does past 100 yards to really say.

These guns get bad reps, not sure why. Does seem to heat up fast.

What I don't like is you have to slam it hard, where as a bolt as long as it is closed you are good. They are louder to load too, which I don't like.

Retired mine for 10 year, and then last fall took it out started loading for it. Shot a buck last fall. Then put a timney trigger in this spring. Don't know if it was really worth it, but I had some extra money.

People complain about triggers, but I though ok. 5lbs, no creep, to me. I did buy used, so no idea what has been done with it.

Safety is quiter than 700, but I don't like them down by the trigger.

I did pull it apart, and replace the oring. Which is something oould probably do again, after I find the right load. Should have lube it when doing range sessions.

I myself wound not invest in a Rem. 760 or the semi auto 742. There are NO available parts to fix it if it breaks anything. If anything wears out or breaks it becomes a wall hanger. If you want a pump then get a Rem 7600. Mid range loads are best in the pump and semi autos.

I am not sure the parts are that different, atleast for small stuff. Lots of little stuff on Midway. You may be right on some stuff though. I havn't tried to find a barrel for it.

I am getting better groupings with this than my 700. But I think that is due x10, than x7. Maybe 7lb pull trigger on 700. They do not like the same loads either. 760 likes partions, and 700 is doing better with Hornady interlocks. Both bullets are similar design. Can't figure it out. 700 seems to like max load, where 760 seems to like 1-2 grains less.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.