Reloading standard cartridges in short barrels

Varget has been my go to powder for many cartridges but the 308 in barrel lengths from 20-26" has been nothing short of magic for me for many many years.

Another couple of advantages of using a medium to fast burning powder are.....

1. A more pleasant perceived recoil impulse.

2. Less muzzle blast.

Part of the advantage of the short magnums has always been their enhanced performance with the medium to fast burning powders and that's a large part of why a 300SAUM has a MUCH more shoulder friendly recoil compared to a 300 Win Mag for a small loss in velocity until you get to the bullets on the heavier end of the scale.

This is just one of my favorite differences to point out but the difference in recoil a 7mm Remington Magnum and a 7mmSAUM have is huge too and the SAUM performs better in shorter, therefore lighter, barrels than the 7RM.

With the advent of the super high BC bullets in the last few years the popularity of the super magnums is waning rapidly as the high muzzle velocity advantage disappears rapidly as distance increases and it becomes all about BC.

Many old school shooters are probably sitting up in their chairs and angrily reaching for their keyboards to justify their fire breathing dragons but they and their rifles with the giant cartridge cases are quickly becoming dinosaurs.

These are the good ole days of centerfire rifles and even off the shelf factory rifles with diminutive cartridges are now capable of respectable groups and terminal performance at distances reserved to a few fire breathing dragon rifles of relatively recent past.

Yes boys and girls. The 308 and now the 6.5 Creedmoor (and several notable others) have all but replaced the Magnums and Ultra Magnums of recent past and my shoulder is happy about that. Back in the day I shot enough 300 Win Mag and 30-378 Weatherby Magnums to permanently rattle my already feeble old brain.

Ross Seyfried wrote an article on a short barreled rifle. He tried a wide range of powders and concluded what works best for a long barrel should be used in the short one. He also said that the heaviest bullets will have less velocity loss.

Last edited:
I use IMR4350 in a 260 20" barrel and same powder (different charge weight) in a 20" 7mm-08 barrel. Both accurate but slower than longer barrels of course. Use RL15 in a 22" 308 also with very good results. You have to give up some velocity with the short barrel trade-off but the barrel will tell you what it likes in bullet and powder. They are stiffer for node tuning, Agree with David Emerson and Wilderness Blacktail both, believe it was JB who voiced that opinion. All three above mentioned guns are sub 1/2 MOA so accuracy is not a trade-off just cool more in group shooting. Sorry went to walk my crazy dog in the artic snowdrifts and forgot to post bullet weight. I like and shoot lighter weight bullets so the 260 is 130gr, the 7mm-08 is 140gr, and the 308 is 150gr. Can't speak for heavyweight's but the lighter ones shoot good. Now if we can just live thru these -22 temps....shooting seems like a long ways away :)

Last edited:
Well as usual, I've learned more from the LRH braintrust in very short order than I would have Googling the subject. I started this thread before I went to bed last night and what a difference "sleeping on it" has made!

You've all provided very useful information. I've really been thinking about that 20" barrel for a while and what to expect, as I've always been an advocate for longer barrels. Turns out that the stiffness of the shorter barrel will really bode well for my suppressor (When I get it in several months). The comments on using the same powder and less velocity loss down range with heavier bullets all make sense too, and the references for these findings are much appreciated. Obviously, every gun is different and I know I can't expect .25 MOA out of the gate with the same load in the Delta 5 as in my current 24" FCP-SR but I'd like to think that I've got most of the homework done.

At the end of the day, I guess a lot of the credit goes to the .308. It's taken me a while to really appreciate that.

Thanks all!

-YZ

As a final note 308's shoot...... period. I think you will get whatever your gun is capable of for accuracy, whether 20" or 28", its velocity and trajectory that will change, the rest is up to you. Good Shooting Dave

Loading for a 20 inch FN SPR currently. I'm pushing a 195 TMK at 2535 ft/sec with RL-15. My theory with short barrels, specifically 308's: I'm certainly not going to push it any faster than some guy running a 32 inch Palma barrel so since I'm conceding velocity I want the highest BC I can get.

I've been shooting 16" to 20" .308 barrels for years. Never had any accuracy issues. The velocity is good enough to take game out to 500 yards with most of the good hunting bullets. I've shot 125 - 220 grain bullets and everything in between. Most of my "pet" loads are with Varget.
I shoot the Barnes 130 grain TTSX out of my Remington Model 7 with a 20" barrel, average right at 2900 FPS with 49 grains of Varget. This load shoots just a little under .5 MOA. This is a compressed load and I worked up to it with no pressure signs. Barnes data attached.
Bergera HMR groups attached 20" factory barrel 168 grain Sierra BTHP Match 45.5 grains of Varget. I used my finger to rough measure at the target but used a tape measure back at home to measure the group.
I have a Remington 700 LTR 20" that printed a 1.3" group at 300 yards using the same load above.
I've killed whitetail, mule deer, hogs, javelina, auodad, coyotes, and bobcat with the short barrels and never had any issues of killing critters.

I have worked up loads for most of my shorties, Varget seems to give me the most consistent velocities and accuracy. I have not had any issues of not getting a full powder burn.

I like the shorter barrels for the convenience of running suppressors on without carrying around a 36" rifle.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• 5DA45BB4-29CC-48A0-9CE7-24F5FFA7CA71.png
    5DA45BB4-29CC-48A0-9CE7-24F5FFA7CA71.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 5E0652CD-3A6B-44DF-9AD3-4803E3D3EAE1.png
    5E0652CD-3A6B-44DF-9AD3-4803E3D3EAE1.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 60
If anything it's easier. Shorter barrels are stiffer by a large margin and even though the time the bullet spends in the barrel is extremely short it is shorter. Thus they deflect less and any movement has a shorter time to act on the bullet trajectory = more consistent.

I have a 18" HB .308 I've loaded two OCWs that I hope to shoot tomorrow. One with the Berger 180 EH and the other with the Nosler 190 ABLR both with PP 2000MR. Haven't seen much load info with that powder but have heard it gets really good velocity with the heavies.

Well as usual, I've learned more from the LRH braintrust in very short order than I would have Googling the subject. I started this thread before I went to bed last night and what a difference "sleeping on it" has made!

You've all provided very useful information. I've really been thinking about that 20" barrel for a while and what to expect, as I've always been an advocate for longer barrels. Turns out that the stiffness of the shorter barrel will really bode well for my suppressor (When I get it in several months). The comments on using the same powder and less velocity loss down range with heavier bullets all make sense too, and the references for these findings are much appreciated. Obviously, every gun is different and I know I can't expect .25 MOA out of the gate with the same load in the Delta 5 as in my current 24" FCP-SR but I'd like to think that I've got most of the homework done.

At the end of the day, I guess a lot of the credit goes to the .308. It's taken me a while to really appreciate that.

Thanks all!

-YZ

For what it's worth, my current 308 is a 20" savage stealth that's shot 3/4 moa or better with literally everything I've put through it, and the one before that (a savage 10t) averaged about 0.6 moa over every group I shot through it if you discard the milsurp stuff I tried (that stuff was barely on paper @ 100 lol) just got the suppressor, need to go see what groups look like now lol

Attachments

• 20200204_194810.jpg
    20200204_194810.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
For what it's worth, my current 308 is a 20" savage stealth that's shot 3/4 moa or better with literally everything I've put through it, and the one before that (a savage 10t) averaged about 0.6 moa over every group I shot through it if you discard the milsurp stuff I tried (that stuff was barely on paper @ 100 lol) just got the suppressor, need to go see what groups look like now lol
Nice rig and congratulations on the Supressor!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.