Reloading questions from a complete newbie

pburton

I have never reloaded. I am currently having a rifle custom built. So I figure it is time to learn how to hand load my own ammo. I have read a lot of stuff on this site that has given me a good idea about how to start out. I have also read a couple reloading manuals. But the one thing that I don't quite understand, and maybe I have missed it, is when seating a bullet how can you tell how far off the lands you are? Is this based on knowing your chamber depth or is this something that you can measure? Sorry if this is a dumb question. But like the title says I am very new to the reloading game.

Not a dumb question, I could clearly hear it coming off my 'puter screen.
Yes, it is something that needs to be measured, and it is different with each type of bullet you are using. Some rifles, I have some myself, have throats that are far longer than you'd expect, but it doesn't seem to pose any problems when other good loading techniques are used for very good ammunition.
To measure the simple way, take a case and cut 2 slots in the neck opposite each other, or indexed, they only need to be about 1mm (.040") wide each. Place the bullet you wish to use, carefully chamber it, cock and uncock the bolt a couple times, then carefully remove the round from the rifle. If your rifle has a plunger ejector, you will need to keep finger pressure on the case to stop it from dragging on the chamber/action wall, this may alter the measurement if not done. Re-do this several times and record the measurements, an average of 10 measurements should give you a measurement to work off. You will need to size the neck between tries. There are 2 measurements that can be used, COAL (head to bullet tip length), and CTOL (head to bullet ogive length). The latter is the more accurate of the 2, byt when measuring for the magazine length, I always measure COAL and give .010"-.030" of play in the magazine. I only use ogive measurement in my target/long range rigs that are single loaded mostly.
Cheers.
gun)

Beleive it or not, I used YouTube to get started reloading. It's so much easier, for me, to watch a video than to read something. Reloading really isn't that hard. Once you get started, a lot of it becomes common sense.

Check out the video from Gunwerks.

This is the method I now use. The Hornady Modified case system almost drove me to drinking on a 300 WSM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really appreciate the responses. Now I understand. I have no idea why I never considered youtube for reloading. I have used it to learn a lot of other things. Again thanks for the help.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.