Reloading notebook?

DXHI

Trying to get serious with reloading.
Was wondering how you all kept up with your data and organized it.
Screen shots and or pics would be appreciated .
I tend to be a paper and pen person..but my organizational skills are terrible.

Just looking for some idea of where and how to best start organizing

Here's some examples of how I keep track of loads and velocity data.

Attachments

• 496B983A-106F-4398-BD3C-7DBC0F0DA142.jpeg
    496B983A-106F-4398-BD3C-7DBC0F0DA142.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 386
  • 777CDFA2-1CDE-477F-A32C-5388811387F8.jpeg
    777CDFA2-1CDE-477F-A32C-5388811387F8.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 372
Screenshot 2020-06-30 04.12.35(2).pngScreenshot 2020-06-30 04.13.16.png
These are the basic templates I use for load development. Once I finalize my load, I record the info in another spreadsheet for that specific rifle. I document atmospherics and other pertinent data in the margins.

Trying to get serious with reloading.
Was wondering how you all kept up with your data and organized it.
Screen shots and or pics would be appreciated .
I tend to be a paper and pen person..but my organizational skills are terrible.

Just looking for some idea of where and how to best start organizing

Pen and paper is my preferred method also so I use this as my template and file them in a ring binder folder for future reference. I just print out more pages when needed.
Reloading Template.jpg

Here a a couple of sheets I use for reloading that you might find useful to come up with your own etc. If you want them in Word, PM me and I will send along to you via email. The generic label is for Avery 18262 that I put on the plastic ammo boxes.

Added: Forgot to mention I use these for every rifle so each rifle has a specific notebook on shelf. Even if I get rid of rifle, I keep that rifle as a caliber reference around if I still have another rifle just in case there was a load that was used in one and not the other. Sometimes useful for ladder testing when looking at past loads in another rifle. No big deal to me, I have a shelf right next to bench for load manuals, rifle notebooks and other books that are used for references.

Attachments

• LRH-2020.03.20.Reloading Data Sheet.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 367
  • LRH-2020.06.30.Best-Loads.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 245
  • Bullet.CBTO.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 2020.Ladder.Test.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 2020.03.20.Multi.Column.Reloading Data Sheet.pdf
    121.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 2019.06.19.Generic Reloading Label.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Haha, I doubt you want to hear from me, I use a dry erase board for current rifles in service. Just the basics, bullet used, powder and charge, primer, seat depth and annealing schedule, cleaning schedule also.
Velocities are stored in apps, and every outing there is an opportunity to gauge performance, if something is amiss, slap the magneto on and find out why.
I used to keep a notebook of everything I did, one day I opened it, asked why, then pitched it. It was like hanging onto an old girlfriends phone number after getting married. Truthfully, I retain a lot, so chances of getting in trouble loading is slim.

I get a mini note pad for every rifle, my hunting partner calls his the Bible lol. Anyways I will keep track of how many shots down the barrel track how many shots since barrel has been cleaned. Checked lands with certain bullets and right it down, check this every so often. For some reason I date when I right down how many rounds I shoot in a session but it works. I will right down the load data in there too once loads are found and velocity too. If there's a target of a group im attached to I'll cut it out and tape it in this book. I also on the cover right the serial number down for that gun so if it were to get stolen I have that recorded. I'll take some pictures for you later. Mines not really fancy no spread sheets or anything just writing on a note pad. But the information is there.

I have the same note pad I started with when I was 12 years old, 30 years ago.
Every caliber has its own few pages and I rite down everything

I keep a three ring binder with a pocket for each caliber I load. I try to provide as much information as possible everything from the date to OAL etc.

Three ring binder with notes and experiences as well as loading data once a load is created. Can remove and add pages, going on 17 years.

I made a mistake early on and tried to keep one notebook for reloading data and rifle data. It didn't work very well. I keep scans of test targets on my computer.

Now I keep load data, dope and other shooting data for each rifle in a separate book for each rifle. I keep a log book in the reloading shed and record whatever I do in it. Works nicely if I am working on something and can't get back to it for a week or two.

+1 for the binders. I've made (with the wifes help) my own sheets on excel. Redding actually has a free downloadable load sheet and labels that I use now. I also keep the notepads and add them to the binder where needed. I'm a firm believer in writing Everything down. Unless your name is Sheldon Cooper you will forget something that might be nice to know someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.