Reloading Notes

I moved and lost my notebook for a while. I had two creedmoor loads worked up, I couldn't remember what powder I used in a mono bullet load.
I found myself trying to guess. I was right, but still sucked to put myself thru that. Ha

I'm reading this and thinking to number each MTM box within each caliber. That way I can track them with a spreadsheet. Thinking perhaps each box should have it's own tab, and each spreadsheet file should be caliber specific.

Looking like I need to start on a home server (just say no to the cloud) for back-ups.....

So I suck at taking notes on different brass and what has been done it it. Things such as trim length done, when it was annealed last, shoulder bump. I am trying to get better at keeping track. What do u guys and how do u guys log what's been done to each batch of brass?
Yeah I suck at this too so I started a note book and I also write on all of my ladder and load development targets and take a picture of them.

I load 100 round batches and keep them 100 round boxes and I am good about writing down on the data sticker which I keep inside the lid which has the spot for powder type, charge, bullet type, weight, seating depth, primer and then has the numbers 1-10 on the bottom. I usually circle what firing I am on and put an A under that number when I anneal. I am really interested in starting to track environmental stuff more than anything. Thank you guys for sharing all your methods!! I need to get organized!!!

My method is pretty straight forward. Every rifle has it's own book. I start with all the details of the build plus a copy of reamer specs. Then, I record the touch length of all the bullets I am considering for that rifle, along with base to datum measurements of first three firings on my brass (these measurements come in handy).

When I'm reloading, I enter all details of the components & loads and what I'm testing..... pressure/velocity, ladder, seating depth, etc.

At the range, I enter date, temperature, pressure, humidity and wind speed & angle. Then as I shoot, I enter velocities, average velocity, SD and ES.
The last entry is rounds fired and an update on total round count for that barrel.

Simple, but gets the job done.
If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not right, don't do it. If you don't think you can hit him, don't shoot him. And finally, don't say it unless you are willing to put it on paper and sign your name on it.

I use COMPRHENSIVE checklist and check off what has been done as I complete it. As I learn or discover more, I add items to it. When done, I file it in a binder for any future reference. Helps with staying focused, on track, not skipping steps, picking up where I left off if not finished in one session, or catching mistakes before I make them. Notebook to the range with checklist for load testing, etc. When done, file pages binder with load checklist. I realized getting organized for simple quick accurate record keeping before I reloaded my first round was an imperative - for at least safety sake.

So I suck at taking notes on different brass and what has been done it it. Things such as trim length done, when it was annealed last, shoulder bump. I am trying to get better at keeping track. What do u guys and how do u guys log what's been done to each batch of brass?
I'm so glad you asked that question ! I suck at it too. Been reloading for 45 yrs.. Believe it or not I just started keeping notes on things like that about 4 mon. ago... Chrono data. Load data. Etc.. I need a secretary!

As far as information logged, critical dimensions, current load, shot count, results, observations, etc., I use a spreadsheet for each gun/barrel, and employ chronological entries. I use a second sheet for build component details & service source information.
I make field click cards (some call drop cards) with another spreadsheet. These cards are printed, laminated, and kept with each box of ammo I make.
Then I have a hardcopy folder for each gun with receipts, reamer prints, manuals, etc.
You must have a lot of time or a good secretary! ;)

I would like to keep better notes but I dont. The only information I keep every shot is the shot data for that exact shot all atmospheric, range, wind, sun light time of day and how I felt about the shot when I sent it. In my opinion that is the most important if i do my part in the reloading shop. What i have always done is i keep detailed information when working up a load for a new rifle, pistol or shotgun and try a few different components and loads. Once I have found the load my gun and I like, we just stick to that for good. From that point I keep the reloading process the exact same for the life of the brass. I do keep a reload count because when I first started my .300 Whby mag bras was expensive so I separated a few heads and quickly quit that. For the record I am only concerned about first round hits and kill shots in the vitals so I am not trying to bench rest or other competition shooting or my angle would be different.

I tried years ago to use a spread sheet, but it was too limited.

I ended up setting up a Lotus Approach Data Base to keep track of my load development history.

After entering all the load data, the program prints an individual target for that load and a report of all the loads I am testing that day. There are a handful of fields that do not print on the target or report, they are there just for reference. I have blank targets printed on my loading bench that are filled out while loading, then info entered into the DB.

Attached is a copy of the Big Bore target and report it prints to take to the range.
I always print the target on White Index stock to save. I also have a page that prints a Bench Rest style target. Copy attached

The report is printed on plain paper to keep at the bench to make notes for each load.

When I am done shooting each load, I make notes on the report to be entered into the Data Base when I get back to my computer. I also make the notes on the actual target when I retrieve it. The targets go into a note book that is kept for each rifle.

This have been a great tool over the years. I easily refer back to these targets or do a simple search in the DB for the best load for an individual rifle. A few years ago, I wanted to load some rounds for a rifle that had not been shot in 5-6 years. Went to the DB, I found the date the rifle was shot last and what load worked then.

Record keeping is so important, I learned this in my career. The company I ran for 25 years was anal about records, but boy did they pay off when we had to make a run of parts that hadn't been made in years. The records we kept told us exactly who ran the parts, how long, what materials, etc. invaluable information.

Several friends have asked for a copy of the DB, but Lotus Approach is not a very common program. I have sat down a few times in an attempt to duplicate the DB in MS Access (not a friendly program).

Attachments

• Lotus Approach_Big Bore Target.pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Lotus Approach_Report.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 113
  • Lotus Approach_BR Target.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 129
I anneal and trim after every loading so I don't have to remember whether I did it or not.

OK, I finally got off my A $$ and built the Load Tracking Data Base in MS Access.

Got some finishing touches to finish, then it will be ready to use.

Attached is a print of the target it prints after filling in the data.

If anyone wants a copy of the DB, let me know. I will share it with you after it is cleaned up some.

Attachments

• DB Target.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.