Reloading new 7mmRM brass

Walker1

I am going to be reloading some new Hornady brass in 7mmRM for my new Savage rifle. Like I said, it is new brass. What are the steps that I should take to do so? I will be loading 162gr Hornady SST.

Run it through the die so the expander ball trues up all the necks as some will be bent, etc. Some trim now or after the 1st firing. If there to long now, then you need to trim, if not you can get away with firing them this time, but probly end up doing it after the first firing. Next thing would be to chamfer and debur inside/outside of the neck and if you have it, flash hole debur tool is also nice.

Some weight sort but I find that a waste of time, JMO. My rifles with there preferred loads still shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA out to 800 yards with unsorted remchester brass.

Thats about all I do.

I run them through a FL sizing die (for sizing) to round out the necks (to make them round and get the same tension). I check the length and make sure they are 2.490" or very close to it. I look for any odd balls at this time. I deburr the necks and the flash holes. I use a nylon brush to clean out the necks also.
After this first shooting, they are fire-formed for my chamber and I reset my die to just bump the shoulder. I smoke the case and slowly adjust the die down until I can see it just touching the shoulder. Then I wipe it off and try it in my rifle. I do this until I get the exact feel of the bolt lock down that I'm looking for. Not too easy but definately not to hard.
I'll leave the die set like this until the cases start get hard to chamber on subsequent loadings. JohnnyK.

Thanks guys for the info. I am going to try and reload some this weekend. Do you FL resize or neck resize after first shots?

johnnyk- I am new to reloading, can you go into more detail about smoking the case and reseting die?

Walker1,
After the first firing I don't try to re-size the whole case again until it has to be done. You'll know by the difficulty in closing the bolt on the re-sized case.
Anyway, to smoke the case, I lube the inside of the neck and then roll them on the lube pad. I wipe off any lube from the neck/shoulder area and then take a Bic lighter and hold it about 1-1.5" from the case neck/shoulder and slowly rotate the case to smut it. When you run the case up in the die this will show where the die and case are touching. I wipe it off before sticking it in my rifle chamber and re-smut it if more adjustment is needed. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get what I'm looking (or feeling) for.
This method allows me to bump the shoulder back enough to get that slight resistance when I close the bolt on a round. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.