reloading for 6.5 IHMSA for tactical, prone shooting

wildcat westerner

Hello,
After encountering the Raton NM Sporting rifle match, I am building a rifle for this type pf shooting. Since I had virtually everything: action, reamer, barrel; forming, sizing and seating dies. .308 Palma brass with the small primer etc. I wonder if there are any other reloaders on this forum who have used this shortened .308 case in a rifle length barrel for just this purpose? Initially I found that nearly 3,000 fps with a 123gr. bullet from just 37 grains of Varget ,to be quite efficient. The small primer, straight case and 40 degree shoulder seem to allow me to shoot accurately at higher pressures than a standard case wiith large primer will. However, I am noting better accuracy from 142 grain bullets and with this wind at this elevation (6,800) I feel this heavier bullet will be better for this type of competition, where I know the exact distance to each of the 60 targets.

If you have any input regarding this cartridge being used in a rifle, prone shooting techniques or shooting in winds which seem pretty incredible at this altitude, I would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
Gene So

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.