Reloading Barnes Without Data

I order to get decent velocity from RL23, it looks like you've got to be significantly compressed. I personally don't like to go over 105-106%, even with a drop tube.

There are better choices, and thus the reason you won't find much published data with that combo.

Some relevant info in this thread last week, in case you missed it...

Last edited:
I have used STARTING data for other manufacturer's bullets of equal weights for TTSX & LRX bullets and it has NEVER gotten me in trouble. Just watch velocities on chrono and look for pressure signs as you increase powder charges. I have also found SOME but not all of the Barnes reloading data to be a little on the conservative side….

I emailed barnes re 308 win 130 tsx loads and cfe 223 powder (which doesn't feature in their load data for 308) and they responded extremely helpfully pdq.

I remember back in the mists of old age, that when I started reloading there were 4 main manuals available., Sierra, Hornaday, and Speer were the bullet manufacturers. Lyman also was a source although, in my neck of the woods, it wasn't available. I asked the proprietor of my favorite weapons dealer and his advice was to use the data for similar weight projectiles as a starting point and let the weapon tell me what it preferred. I was also forming 25-06 brass from surplus LC 30-06 brass I got at a now forbidden "gun show" for a song. The RCBS tech rep turned me onto using their 25-06 trim die a forming tool then file the excess neck material off. Used that advice for decades until factory 25-06 brass became available. I finally retired that lot of brass after more than a dozen reloads.

Is there any considerations needed to be taken when loading Barnes TTSX and LRX without any load data with a specific powder? I have data for standard jacketed bullets but there isnt any for the Barnes bullets using the powder I have. I am reloading for my 270win and was going to try both 129gr LRX and 130gr TTSX with RL 23. Was planning on using 140gr bullet data as a starting point since both those bullets are about the same length as the 140gr I currently use and wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Another option is to call Barnes. They might have load data using RL 23 that hasn't been published yet.

Is there any considerations needed to be taken when loading Barnes TTSX and LRX without any load data with a specific powder? I have data for standard jacketed bullets but there isnt any for the Barnes bullets using the powder I have. I am reloading for my 270win and was going to try both 129gr LRX and 130gr TTSX with RL 23. Was planning on using 140gr bullet data as a starting point since both those bullets are about the same length as the 140gr I currently use and wanted to make sure I was on the right track.