Reloading Barnes Without Data

snuzzo29

Is there any considerations needed to be taken when loading Barnes TTSX and LRX without any load data with a specific powder? I have data for standard jacketed bullets but there isnt any for the Barnes bullets using the powder I have. I am reloading for my 270win and was going to try both 129gr LRX and 130gr TTSX with RL 23. Was planning on using 140gr bullet data as a starting point since both those bullets are about the same length as the 140gr I currently use and wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Thank you very much! From the QL info I was on the right track and would have gotten close. I was thinking since the length and bearing surface of those bullets are similar to 140gr accubonds to use 140gr data.

I have used the data cross referenced from a couple of load manuals, for the same weight of bullet, as a starting point for decades. Even if the bullet isn't exactly the same shape or composition it will be close, and since you are working up anyhow, you will never have an issue. Starting with the load data for a slightly heavier bullet just means you usually start a little lower..

For Future Reference -
Very nice of you to provide the link but I am pretty sure the OP already knew about it. His issue is there is no RL23 data from Barnes for the bullets he wants to use. There is nothing on the Barnes site that I saw that provides that info for the 270 Win, his Barnes bullet and RL23.

Very nice of you to provide the link but I am pretty sure the OP already knew about it. His issue is there is no RL23 data from Barnes for the bullets he wants to use. There is nothing on the Barnes site that I saw that provides that info for the 270 Win, his Barnes bullet and RL23.
Yeah I looked through the Barnes data first. What I didnt know was if I could used the data for a bullet of same weight but different construction compared to the Barnes.

Is there any considerations needed to be taken when loading Barnes TTSX and LRX without any load data with a specific powder? I have data for standard jacketed bullets but there isnt any for the Barnes bullets using the powder I have. I am reloading for my 270win and was going to try both 129gr LRX and 130gr TTSX with RL 23. Was planning on using 140gr bullet data as a starting point since both those bullets are about the same length as the 140gr I currently use and wanted to make sure I was on the right track.
Most manuals have data for equivalent weight Hornady GMX bullets. I've used that with good success. Solids generate pressure ALOT faster than jacketed bullets. I've also used the same data in my creedmoor for the 127g LRX as the 143G ELDX. So your idea of using 140 data should also be a good start.

QL does not provide a start load or pressure. I just ran up charge weight as close as possible to max pressure. I generally back off 3 grains and work up.
He is asking about initial pressure. QL recommends 6500 psi for barnes. Cup and core bullets are about half that.