Reloader33 and 338-378WBY

Gregg C

An acquaintance recently gave me a bit of RE33, said might help with es problem I'm having. Said a friend of his shoots this cartridge and recommends 106grs under a 300gr pill. I asked Do you trust this guy? Weeeellll, yeah he's ok was the response. Anyone here have any experience with this combo ? Have enough powder for 20rds, but want to know where 106grs falls in the chart, and I cannot find this combo anywhere. I've looked. Hard.

I ran 101 grs-300 Berger in my 338 edge. It was very fast and accurate. I know they are different cartridges, but the concept is still the same. 106 seems reasonable, but I'd start lower.

Thanks Wolf76. I dropped down to 103.5 and worked back up , to 106.5. Never got hi pressure indicators, and I like the speeds it makes, but DANG, that stuff is HOT ! Two shots, and I can't lay my hand on the barrel. Took forever this A.M. to shoot these seven rds. Don't think I'm gonna run it, even if it is the answer to my ES woes. Do you find it a high temp burning powder, as well ?
Also, are you running Elite Hunters, OTM, or some other Berger 300 ? Reason I'm asking is this...if you shoot the Elites or OTM pills, do you find them seating depth sensitive ?

I've shot rl33 and rl50 in my 300 rum's for years... I never really have noticed excessive heating, but these are overbore rounds, so if you don't have great cooling you will be rather hot by three shots...

Thanks Wolf76. I dropped down to 103.5 and worked back up , to 106.5. Never got hi pressure indicators, and I like the speeds it makes, but DANG, that stuff is HOT ! Two shots, and I can't lay my hand on the barrel. Took forever this A.M. to shoot these seven rds. Don't think I'm gonna run it, even if it is the answer to my ES woes. Do you find it a high temp burning powder, as well ?
Also, are you running Elite Hunters, OTM, or some other Berger 300 ? Reason I'm asking is this...if you shoot the Elites or OTM pills, do you find them seating depth sensitive ?

I settled on 92grs of H1000 with the 300 Berger otm and accubond. It is slightly slower than rl33, but a little more accurate and easier on the shoulder. This combo shoots .5moa or better consistently and I really like the powder (use it in my 300 wm too). My COAL is roughly 3.95", but the wyatt's box extender makes this gun a repeater.
The otm bergers are not really sensitive. Seem like they have a 30-40 thousandths window. The accubonds shoot a little better in my gun and have virtually the same impact.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.