Reloader 25 problems with 300 RUM

Stavi300RUM

Looking for some advice guys. Last year I got a Remington 700 300 RUM. When I was looking for load development on here from people I saw rl 25 to be one of the top to use. Yesterday however when I was working up loads to find the "sweet spot", to say the least...I was very disappointed in the results. With a charge of 90.5 grs. of powder the 3 shot read out over the chronograph read 3034, 3147 and 2999. Now these loads were weighed and re weighed but still got these results. Any suggestions? Other powders to try? Don't waste your time trying to tell me about Retumbo, because we all know how hard it is to find it. My dad shoots h414 out of his 338 mag and has amazing results...Could this be a good powder for the 300 RUM also? Thanks in advance everyone.

I have a Rem 700 LSS in 300 Ultra. I also had a high ES with RL25. H414 produced a lower ES for me but seemed to be more temp sensitive. I know you said you didn't want to hear it....but I have had excellent results with Retumbo. Where are you finding Alliant RL powders....very hard to get in MT.

I'm on the backorder with Lohman arms on some H1000...but, it's a 4 week wait and possibly longer. I'm going to try some IMR 7828 ssc or even Ramshot Magnum while I wait.

I have a Rem 700 LSS in 300 Ultra. I also had a high ES with RL25. H414 produced a lower ES for me but seemed to be more temp sensitive. I know you said you didn't want to hear it....but I have had excellent results with Retumbo. Where are you finding Alliant RL powders....very hard to get in MT.

I was able to find it on Cabela's a while back. I saw on gunbot.com that there was some on there just the other day.

I worked up a load for a buddies Rem 700 Sendero. My best load was 93.5 gr RL25, Fed 215, and a 168 gr TTSX. Would shoot .5" consistently if I did my part.

Any suggestions? Other powders to try? Don't waste your time trying to tell me about Retumbo, because we all know how hard it is to find it.

My 300 RUM with 200 gr bullets (partitioned, accubonds) and 87.5 grs of IMR 7828 with 215 primers is very consistent and accurate. I like to use the Lee Factory crimp with this cartridge...I find it helps with velocity and accuracy consistency.:D

I've shot 96 grains of RL-25 with Remington 9 1/2 primer, 180 grain SAF group cloverleafed at 100 yards. COL. 3.60
Had better groups with 87.5 RL-25 and 200 grain Nosler Accubond. Have yet to chronograph this load. I tried Retumbo with no luck however, every rifle is different.
COL 3.675

Scratch

Not sure what everyone else has experience with IMR 7828 but I find it to be somewhat temperature sensitive. I developed some loads for my .300 RUM when the temp was around 40 outside and when I was shooting in 75+ temps. I was definitely seeing pressure signs that I wasn't seeing when I developed the loads. H-100 and retumbo work well in the RUM and seem to be less temperature sensitive.

I'm quite suprised here. Not one mention of rl 33? I have a custom 300 rum that cannot get enough of it. Low pressures and highly accurate. My load is 101.3 grains of 33 pushing a 230 Berger 3200 fps. The downside is that it can/is temperature sensitive.

If you take the 7828 route, get the SSC. It metered better and fills the case more evenly. Your velocities will be a little slower but speed isn't everything. I currently use 7828 ssc in my 338 rum and 7 rum respectively. I figured since the load was accurate, I would wait to switch to 33 once I've shot up my last lot of reloads. Now that day is here, 33 will be the powder for all my ultra mags...except the 375 rum of course :D.

You also could look into IMR 7977. It's a new powder from IMR that's sounds too good to be true. I have some data on this powder if you want it. One other one I would try is US 869. This powder has been proven to work in the 300 rum with excellent results.

Don't give up. 300 rum is one of the top long rangers out there. Once you figure it you won't be able to stop.

Good luck!
Jayson

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.