Reducing ES

I assume so. I'm looking for a compromise. Lots of good suggestions from everyone here. I'm not competing or LE so I need to do what I can with a modest budget.

I think you have it with a beam scale, people may disagree but a mechanical beam scale will be more consistent then a digital scale until you get into the very expensive lab grade digitals.

My process for charges is to use an RCBS digital powder throw and scale setup then I put the charge onto my beam scale and trickle to proper weight. If you pay close attention to exactly where the lines line up on the scale and hit it exact every time you can achieve very consistent charge weights. The RCBS digital setup by itself will consistently have a variance of +or- .3. I wager the beam scale produces .05 variance. The key is to be meticulous with the beam scale. Outline a spot on your bench to use every time, zero and verify with a calibrated weight at the start every time, look very close at the lines and don't breath on the scale.

I've always used quality brass from the start but don't do anything outside of the norm for prep and clean brass as little as possible. I don't even trim every time if I don't need to and I achieve single digit SD in my bolt rifles. Gas guns are another story!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.