Reduced power 338 lapua loads

NZ338lapua

Hi, I'm new to the forum and are after some advice, I'm in New Zealand and the hunting I do involves back packing to areas where 1000 yard shots are frequently available, Fortunately so are 15 yard shots on the walk in !! I shoot a Remington.338 lapua with a very effective but extremely loud T3 Terminator brake. 285gn hornady eld and 92 gun retumbo in a lapua brass...very effective LR load....but very very loud. My question is this...can anyone advise on a reduced power load using the 185gn TSX at about 2800fps that I can shoot unbraked...on the Carry in, switching to the full noise, braked load for the long shots? Any help would be appreciated. gun)gun)

I do empathize with your goal.

I'd be leary of carrying 2 different loads. Not from mixing up the cartridges but from the process of removing/installing the brake. Unload and make safe the firearm. Remove brake/thread protector install other.

Failure to properly make the firearm safe could be catastrophic.

Just had to get that warning part in....

What powders can you get. ADI AR 2217?

I appreciate your safety concerns.

I can get most powders the ADI ones the easiest, I have 2225 and 2213sc in the safe already, but also hodgdon, vhitavouri, any of the reloader series are easy enough to source.

Thanks again. Antony

Hornady lists data down to 2700 fps for their 185 grain GMX, which is similar to the TSX. Here is the data:

H4350 80.0 grains
IMR4831 83.9 grains
VIHT N-160 77.9 grains
RL-19 84.0 grains
RL-22 88.3 grains
VIHT N-165 87.0 grains
H4831 86.1 grains
IMR 7828 89.1 grains
H1000 91.2 grains

Most of the Hornady max loads are about 2 grains lower than the Barnes. If it were me I'd start about 2 grains above the Hornady minimum loads and see how it shoots.

Another method would be to use Barnes or Hodgdon's data and start 10% below the max load.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.