Reduced Load in 6.5 PRC, Accuracy Concerns?

sm31

Hello! Still a bit wet behind the ears but I have managed to develop a few decent loads so far...

In this case, I'm purchasing a rifle in 6.5 PRC that will primarily be used by my spouse who is a bit recoil averse. I suspect she will quickly overcome any issues (she is great with skeet) and be able to shoot a full power 6.5 PRC round, no problem. But in the meantime, I'd like to develop a load that is significantly softer (softer than just a lighter weight pill will provide) but is still fun for her to ring steel at 400 yards.

Will reducing the load closer to "creedmoor" levels compromise accuracy for reasons beyond just the typical effects of a slower moving projectile? Thank you for the advice!!

Thank you So I Hunt!

Since a "typical" load for a 6.5 PRC is in the 55-60 grains neighborhood, will there be any issues (besides the obvious I stated above) if I reduce the load to 40-45 grains?

You should be fine to linger at the starting load data if you want. I find my prc with 57.7 grains h1000 is pretty gentle with no brake. Like .308 recoil.

Yes, there can be serious issues from using loads BELOW minimal starting point. Insufficient load density can result in "detonation" due to air to powder density. This phenomenon is a controversy by many but I have been told directly by Alliant and Hodgdon tech line it is a real issue to be aware of and do not go below minimal load thresholds. The minimal load for the 140 BT is 47.9 grain = 2567 fps. Nosler typically uses same load data for same group of bullets. Since the 6.5PRC is in competition to their 26 Nosler, they do not have 6.5PRC load data.

The recoil from this load in a 7.5LB rifle is 14.5 LBs which is not very much at all. The recoil velocity which is a bigger teller of potential is 11.14 fps which is not very fast. I would show your wife the data so she can see it is not going to be an "Oh Crap" when she pulls trigger. I estimated the rifle weight and bet it is heavier so the recoil would go down even more.

I would rethink loading below minimal load recommendations just for safety reasons. plus the recoil at minimal is very low.
6.5PRC-140gr.jpg

See example 6.5PRC loads from Hodgdon powder website:

Reloading_Data_Center_Hodgdon(1).jpg

Thank you so much Muddyboots! This is great information! I was concerned there could be safety issues with going too far minimum load specs... I definitely won't do that!

From this data, I think 47.5 grains will certainly be doable for her. That really is getting a bit softer than 308. And, also correct on rifle weight. I think the rifle will weigh just over 10 when complete, so that will soften it even more.

I really appreciate taking the time to put this post together!!🍻

With 10lb weight you'll be surprised how gentle it is. I have a 6.5prc savage tactical thats pretty heavy barreled. My kids aren't even scared of it.

I shoot and load for a 6.5 PRC. Mine has a brake on it and I'll assure you her skeet gun has way more recoil. Some folks don't like a brake due to the noise but they sure do work well. Like Muddyboots said, reduced loads can be dangerous, proceed with caution.

Agree with above. Anything you can do to add weight to the rifle, add a break, and lighten the projectile weight will reduce recoil. Do not go below starting powder charge. That being said they make a few powders for reduced recoil as well, even sub sonic loads. I would start with a 95 grain bullet. And a good recoil pad to soften up the kick.

I have no experience with the PRC rounds but if you can find data using H4895 in the 6.5 PRC Hodgdon explains how to do reduced loads safely. But it is only with H4895. Would have to check and see if 4895 is compatible with the weight bullet and cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.