Reduced 222 loads for yard varmints

wv270wsm

So for the last month I've been playing around with my 222 and the 35 gr Hornadys . I've got roughly two pounds of rl 7 that I've been testing with, what I'm trying to achieve is around 2000 fps and somewhat quieter than the loud crack at the squeeze of the trigger . It will be used mostly for varmints in and around the house . I would just use the 22 wmr but the price of ammo for it is crazy . I started out at 10 grs of rl 7 and was getting 1750 ish fps so today I loaded up five rounds at 12 grs and it jumped up to 2112 average . What I'm wondering is did two grs make that much of a difference or the temp difference make it . From when I shot earlier this month to today's group is roughly 20 degrees different. Any help is appreciated

Concise answer: Yes, 2 grains made that much difference.

What is your barrel length?

When I use what you gave us, in QL I get 1756 for your 10 grain load. and 2044 for your 12 grain load. Pretty darned close.

I don't know the reduce load rules for RL-7. Be safe.

I use TrailBoss for reduced loads. Works very well, very quiet.

My 222 is a savage 340 d I believe it has 22 inch barrel . I read in a , I believe ffg magazine a few years back their gun column writer was playing around with subsonic loads for the 223 using rl 7 . He was getting bullets stuck in the barrel with anything less than 9 grs . All I'm trying to do is replicate 22 wmr only reloadable . I hope any and all advice is welcome

The Calhoon loads from the two links I posted will allow you to safely replicate 22LR loads and up, easily covering what you are looking for.

Thank you benchracer actually got to read the links you posted will definitely give the blue dot load a whirl. The rl 7 has yet to show any signs of issues with no hang fires but will lay around till I find what I'm looking for

My goal is to have a "reloadable" 22LR equivalent with non-lead.

Your method and what I posted and Calhoons should get you what you are looking for.

I', going the 5.7x28FN route to get the case capacity down. Barnes Varmint Grenades. 30 and 36 need to be tried. I have yet to fit the barrels and chamber them but that will come.

Sure I could just do a 22-Hornet but what fun is that.... Oh, yeah that would be fun too and I have a Hornet barrel for my Thompson Contender. LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.