Redhawk ammo recommendation

NHGriff

I want to hunt deer and bear this year with my Ruger Redhawk in 44mag. I have been shooting Hornady factory ammo with 240 grain XTP bullets and so far only shooting targets with it, or whatever is on sale at Dick's. Mostly shooting for fun not groups or accuracy.

Has anyone used the Leverevolution ammo in a handgun? What about the Black Hills or Buffalo Bore ammo in the 340 grain round?

Just wondering what others have been used. I'd like to find a round and shoot it exclusively until I am confident with it.

I'm shooting a Redhawk with a 7.50 inch barrel and Williams fire sites.

If the Hornady 240 XTP shoots good for you then you have what you need. It will expand and it will hold together and it will exit a deer most of the time. Get serious about your practice. Make every shot from a position that you would use while hunting and imagine that shot is the only shot that you are going to get on a deer. Learn your limitations and abide by them. If you know from practice that you can't place that bullet exactly where it needs to go over a certain distance or from a certain position then just DO NOT TRY IT ON GAME. It really helps to shoot at a life size deer target with the vital zone outlined. You can make your own out of cardboard.

Thanks for the response. I'm an avid bowhunter and have killed 6 deer with bow over the years. I grew up in the midwest where shotguns were all that were legal so I've also killed them with a smooth bore. So I'm familiar with keeping ranges close and will live within my abilities. Last year I took my first muzzle loader deer so I want to try Handgun next. The last legal way will be rifle and I hope to get a deer that way in Kansas this year.

I have a friend that offered to help me reload so ammo prices will come down and I can practice much more. Has anyone here used solid lead rather than jacketed bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.