Redding Die Question

Bronc1

I have several sets of redding full length sizing dies with bushing for some of my varmint rifles. I just had a 300 win mag built and am wonder what everyone uses for big game hunting guns for dies? I do like the full length bushing dies and I am wondering if a competition seating die is worth getting over the standard seating die? I am also curious if anyone knows what kind of neck tension a redding standard full length die applies to 300 win brass? I am also thinking of upgrading my 257 weatherby dies from RCBS to Redding.

Bullets.com is having a pretty decent sale on redding dies at the moment. Might be worth a look for the 300 WM.

I'm contemplating trying some out for 338 RUM.

Bullets.com is having a pretty decent sale on redding dies at the moment. Might be worth a look for the 300 WM.

I'm contemplating trying some out for 338 RUM.
I seen that. I was trying to find the bushing die but they didn't have the full length for 300 win.

I use the Redding full length sizing die with the Redding Comp Shell holders. The Comp Shell Holders are very useful for achieving the correct 'shoulder setback'.
Also use the Redding Comp Seating die. Not sure about neck tension or runout, but my rifle with my loads has shot .25-.30 moa groups out to 700 yards, with me as the operator. Pretty much always stays <.5 moa at to 700.

I have several Redding, Forster & RCBS FL dies. The latter 2 I have bushing dies & standard non bushing dies. The forster FL dies I use make the most uniform ammo out of all of my dies, regardless of whether it's a hunting rifle or not. Nearly all of my chambers are small match spec and the Forster dies are the closest fitting.
Unless I'm loading for an extremely accurate comp/varmint rifle, I see no advantage to bushings for loose factory/SAAMI chambers.
I moved away from bushings, donuts, reaming and turning necks are not my cup of tea. Yes, I still turn necks on my comp guns, but only to uniform the neck wall thickness. I no longer chamber tight necks, found no benefit from tight fitting and thin necks. I run .004" neck clearance and my groups are more uniform as a result.

My advice is, if you want uniform sizing, either get a bushing die or get a non bushing die and have it honed in the neck to the size you want. This is how my Forster dies are done. I use the expander with powdered graphite and polish them to be .0005" bigger than the finished neck ID of the die.

Cheers.
:)

I am using the redding comp seater and comp neck sizer. I was having lots of run out necking down 280 ackley to 6.5 x280 ackley . The comp sizer solved that problem.get a body die or pull the bushing out of the s die fl if you need to bump the shoulder

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.