Redding Competition Seater Plug?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Just wondering what you all do if the seater plug doesn't quite match the bullet ogive profile of the pill you are using?

I was thinking using some epoxy/bedding compound to fill the seater plug and place a bullet in their until it cures. Then trim off any excess after it dries completely.

Does this sound feasible, or should I get one turned up the correct shape?

Thanks all.

Cheers.
:(

Why do you feel that you need to do this?
What benefit are you trying to achieve?

I use the Redding Comp Seating die and it works great for me. Very likely you will do more harm than good. Remember, your bullets are not all exactly/perfectly the same exact shape.

Pull then reseat. Or consider this and don't worry about them because I'm pretty sure you're probably using them for hunting: Turn a piece of copy paper on its edge and look at it. That's .004"!!! I wouldn't worry about it unless your target is the size of a bullet hole or a 1/16th dot at 100 yards. When using a comparator by hand it doesn't take much force to go from .001" to .005" when measuring. Your differences could be self imposed and not a reflection of equipment. All copper bullets/jackets are soft material. Given the tools you're working with, I think you did a fine job.

Why do you feel that you need to do this?
What benefit are you trying to achieve?

I use the Redding Comp Seating die and it works great for me. Very likely you will do more harm than good. Remember, your bullets are not all exactly/perfectly the same exact shape.
The reason is that the bullet tip was touching the end of the plug, I drilled it out slightly and now the bullets wobble in there. It leaves a ring on the ogive too.
I am using VLD target 30 cal bullets.
I had the exact same issue in a RCBS comp seater a while back and RCBS made a plug for me at no cost. They no longer have this service.

I will just do it and see how it turns out.

Cheers.
:)

Redding makes a VLD plug that will probably cure that issue for any jacketed bullet. I have and shoot solids that bottom out on the Redding VLD plugs, but a few minutes with a carbide drill bit to lengthen the tip of the plug cured my problem.

Jeffvn

Redding makes a VLD plug that will probably cure that issue for any jacketed bullet. I have and shoot solids that bottom out on the Redding VLD plugs, but a few minutes with a carbide drill bit to lengthen the tip of the plug cured my problem.

Jeffvn
I had the same problem with Barnes bullets being crushed on the tip. I took my Lyman VLD reamer and chamfer the plug. After that I had no problems with crushed tips.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.