redding body die issues?

Well Reddings comp set has a standard body die and neck size only bushing die . If you remove the bushing you can't size anything .
The only die that will act as a body die after removing the bushing is a Redding S full die , that I know of .
So if you are using the Redding Competition 3 die set then it is possible you have a small base body die in that set . Check the body die that could be causing hard sizing .

hey guys, I switched over to a diff batch of once fired Winchester brass for my 300wm. It wont chamber, so I tried to put it in the redding body die and my brass feels like its going to get STUCK, and don't want to force it and it needs a bunch of pressure to get out of die. I have the 3pc redding comp dies. I put case lube on the case before going into body die. it did nothing to shoulder bump. almost like case is to big for die feels like. The case has about an inch before it would be fully in die. also using the redding stepped shell holders, I use .010 for my other good brass. should I use a different size shell older? any help would be great!
thanks

The body die is just that - it will size the case from shoulder to base; nothing above. If the neck OD or shoulder are too large to fit the rifle chamber, the brass will not go. If those cases were previously fired in another chamber, they obviously may not fit. The high shell holder will not reduce the neck. Use your competition sizing die with proper bushing. Read the set up instructions first. Of course, lube the case liberally. I use the Redding Precision Mic to measure shoulder bump on all my brass, and it works well.

The redding body dies sizes from just outside the junction of the neck and shoulder down the shoudler by way of a bump and then all the way to the top of any shell holder so it will reduce the shoulder diameter to a point depending on how much shoulder bump you need or apply and the taper inside the die . The die still has to match the guns chamber and be capable of sizing down enough or insome cases iy could be capable of sizing too much if you push it all the way in. .

First question; is this 'new batch' of brass 'once fired' in your rifle, or a diff rifle? Think why won't it chamber? Because it was hot-loaded? Is the brass thinning on walls or is there a possibility of case head separation, (do the scratch test). Is the case head bulging, is the headspace way over?
Rcbs is what I've used forever, it always seems to work well, and I've come across some brass that was dirty and/or tarnished enough that it felt like it froze up in the redding sb body die, but a smidgeon more of this worked out fine. Not to mention you have 'other' brass, so its going to be a chore to FL size those..and you should FL especially if its not fired in your gun.. you have to lube the inside necks too, or simply remove the expander ball, you'll definitely be getting a work out sounds like, just be careful not too much is on shoulders its possible to over-bump the shoulders or create ripples.. might even want to run that brass through a pond of ISOSSO first. Good luck

I have been using 0w20 synthetic motor oil with my body dies seems to work better than imperial sizing wax ...but I wouldn't use it inside the necks..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.