Redding 338 Lapua Reloading

SES50

I starting to get stuff together to reload for 338 Lapua. I have been reloading for 270 Win, 308 and 300 WM for a while now. I wrote an email to Redding Reloading to ask them about which is the best die set to order from them. They said a couple of things that I thought I would question here.

1) Redding Said, "Most benchrest and 1000 yard shooters are full length sizing cases."

I thought most people that we really into accuracy were neck sizing after they fire formed the case to thier chamber. Can someone educate me on this?

2) I asked about a crimping die and the guy that responded said, "You will not be crimping the bullets in your reloads. It is not necessary."

What! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I thought everthing got crimped! At a minimum this keeps the bullet in place in a hunting enviroment where the bullets could be getting bumped around. Is this something only for the 338 Lapua or is this some new information that has not trickled down to me yet?

3) Any body know of a good book to read on reloading for long distance shooting and/or the 338 Lapua?

ses50, I like to use redding match sets the body die will size the case without touching the neck. The seating micro die is just plain great. I own several and they always come out straight. The crimp you are talking about can be handled by neck tension. This set includes a neck bushing die. You can adjust( or purchase) the bushing to get a proper tension. The idea of full length sizing a case everytime by the precision shooter really falls into they have their dies custom polished to precisley match their chamber on their very expensive rifles. Unless you have one of these rifles and choose to have the die "refinished" you will be well off to full lenght size only when needed. The idea is to keep the brass as close to your chamber size as possible so you can use all of the energy to propel the bullet consistantly. Brass should be a no brainer Lapua is the only way to go.
This is one of the greatest long range rounds in my opinion . There are several great bullets for accuracy. I believe you'll have a great time with this round as long as you shoulder can take it.
I hope I have been helpful, chances are you probabley know most of this but I thought I would put it in there anyway.

RH

I have never crimped the bullets in my 338 Lapua. Not even hunting rounds that I generally crimp in other calibers. TBBC 225gr, A-Frame 275gr and 231gr Naturalis, no problem with bullets moving under recoil. The Lapua brass is pretty stiff. Perhaps this is enough to prevent any sliding. It´s all a question about neck tension. Try a few with "full power" load and measure the cartridge length before and after. The A-Frames were loaded with 24N41 that gave a compressed load, which support the bullets to some extent.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.