Red Stag

TXLongerShot

A friend and I went to Quebec to hunt Elk at Laurentian Wildlife Estates. It's beautiful country and the Fall foliage is nothing like Texas.

I said we went to hunt Elk, but the first morning out I saw a Red Stag and in the back of my mind I was so impressed with the stature and presence of that animal.

We saw a small group of Elk but couldn't get close enough to judge, the forest is very thick. It's amazing how the animals freeze and disappear in plain sight.

We started tracking and found group a standing in heavy timber, on a hillside. Again too thick to judge so we waited, and they decided to bed down. After a bit of time waiting and glassing it was decided that a good bull was in the group. I decided that the bull was not for me, so the guide radioed my buddy and his guide, and about 45 minutes later they made their way to us. My guide and I left them to it and went to another location to see if we could pick up another bull.

Soon, the original group stirred and my buddy shot the bull. It went down, and ended up tumbling to the bottom of the shallow ravine. We went back to see if they needed help. I left my rifle at the vehicle and started walking to where I remembered the Elk were bedded down. Before I got there a bull walked over a ridge and into the open about 150 yards away! No rifle, just awe at the size and proximity of the animal.

That was the end of the Elk hunt for my friend, and his bull scored 447. 6x6 typical with a crazy 20" kicker on the right side.

The next hunt I changed gears with the Red Stag strong on my mind. Our plan was to sit at the edge of a meadow and see if any Elk or Stag came out. It was evening, and apparently this was a good spot. We walked in, about 30 minutes to get to the meadow. As we approached, the guide signaled that there were three animals in the meadow. We slowed up and stalked up to within 150 yards. The Red Stag party was in full swing, and I decided on the animal that immediately turned his back to us and started grazing. The other two knew something was up and were nervous. After a few tense minutes, he quartered away and brought his head up. The 300 WSM got the job done. My stag scored 436.

The outfit that we hunted with is Venator Cardrona Safaris. Everyone that we worked with on this trip is first class. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a first class hunting experience.

Attachments

• ECBFFB6E-1012-4443-8907-859EC36D4D62.jpeg
    ECBFFB6E-1012-4443-8907-859EC36D4D62.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 161
  • 025B115B-332F-4D16-BB0A-A7636EC5194A.jpeg
    025B115B-332F-4D16-BB0A-A7636EC5194A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 166
Great harvest! Sounds like a great trip!

A question, is it normal for the antlers to get that broad at older ages? Kind of reminds me of how moose antlers palmate

Wow,congrats on a huge red stag.That's like the big ones they kill in New Zealand.I started doing some cull stag hunts.I really like the meat.The one in my avatar is the smallest one I've killed,but it is the most tender and best tasting one as well.They really aren't that much smaller than an elk.The biggest difference I see is they are just smaller boned than elk.This one weighed right at 400lbs at 3.5yrs old.The biggest one I killed was a 7.5yr old and he weighed about 550lbs.I'm spoiled now.I've kinda lost interest in hunting whitetails.