Red dot vs scope for Raging Hunter

kerrek

Hey Guys, bought a 44 magnum Taurus Raging Hunter. Trying to decide between a Scope, Red dot or Reflex Sight on it for hunting? Eastern hardwoods hunting areas for Whitetails out to about 80 yds. Which do you prefer?

Ken

I've been struggling with my old eyes in handgun shooting for a while now. I spent a few hours at a range yesterday, and confirmed I need an aiming device beyond 25 yards. I like the reflex for less bulk and quick target acquisition, but I can't decide which one to go with. The 500SW destroyed the last one I had.
IMG_1017.jpeg

I appreciate the input. I guess any aiming device can have issues. I have really never trusted them for CC or SHTF situations.

I originally was going to just replace the rear sights with the Wilson Combat, but thought more about the intended purpose of this revolver. Improving my ability to more precisely put rounds on target at around 50 yards or so was my primary objective. I need to make a decision on the sights before purchasing a holster.

I'm curious how the motion activated function works when carrying in a chest holster rig. It would seem to stay on all the time if you were moving around while carrying. Battery life may be impacted unless you have fiber optic and tritium illumination.
I went trijicon SRO for the smaller optics and Ultradot for a tube. Haven't had an issue on any big bores.

I like red dots, farthest I have shot a deer was 60 yards but I routinely practice to 100 yards with it. I tried a 4 power scope and I didn't like how much it magnified my movement. So it's red dots for me.

While I've not actually shot my S&W 460 (8 3/8" barrel) beyond 100, I think that under the right condition, from my shooting sticks, I could stretch a shot out to 150 yards on big game.

From the bench using the 3 moa dot, I'm capable of sub 3" groups. Of course the bench is a bit more stable than the sticks!

"Knock on wood" 😁, 400 grain bullets @ 1600 mv haven't destroyed my Burris…….yet! 😉 memtb

I like the options of scopes on my long range handguns using 2-6X. I use UltraDots on my .FA .475L & 6" S&W .500 Mag. They do OK out to 100, but after that are a little iffy. But, my FA & Ruger .454s, as well as my Taurus Raging Bull all have Bushnell Elites. That makes 200 yd. shots much more possible.
Really it all boils down to what distance you're going to use the most and your ability to shoot those distances.

I have the very gun you are using. Tried a 2-7 x 32. Now have a leupold delta point on it. Found out that even good pistol scope will be difficult to use in the last15- 20 minutes of shooting light in thick cover. I'm not as accurate with the delta point as I was with the scope. But I'm still accurate enough to kill deer at sixty to seventy. And I can see it with ten minutes left. PS, Took me two trips to the gun smith to get the trigger on the Raging Hunter down to my satisfaction. Mine was hard and creepy. Thought it would have been better with the $$$ they charge.

I have the very gun you are using. Tried a 2-7 x 32. Now have a leupold delta point on it. Found out that even good pistol scope will be difficult to use in the last15- 20 minutes of shooting light in thick cover. I'm not as accurate with the delta point as I was with the scope. But I'm still accurate enough to kill deer at sixty to seventy. And I can see it with ten minutes left. PS, Took me two trips to the gun smith to get the trigger on the Raging Hunter down to my satisfaction. Mine was hard and creepy. Thought it would have been better with the $$$ they charge.
My trigger is actually pretty good! Heavy, but no creep!

My trigger is actually pretty good! Heavy, but no creep!
Mine is now two and a half pounds on single action. Very, very small take up then just a clean break. Smith took the replacement spring I bought, put a steel rod through it and put it on a belt sander. Letting it roll and evenly take metal off the spring. I wanted it lower than two pounds, but he refused. My contender trigger is one pound five ounces.

Last edited: