Red dot or conventional on hunting 22?

shimoda

Not really a specialty question but it is a handgun.
I want to mount optics on a great old High Standard Supermatic Citation 22.
Squirrels/ rabbits in eastern hardwoods and target. I need to help my 50 year old eyes.
I've never owned or shot a scoped handgun and only want to buy one without spending a fortune.
The dot[holographic] look great but are they precise? This is a very accurate pistol. Would I be better off with a fixed/ variable conventional scope?

If I enjoy small game with a hand gun I'll have to add a specialty handgun to the already too long custom build list..... I'm thinking something in 6.5.
Thanks, Sam

I'd go with a 1x4 the higher power the harder they are to use in the field.
I have a 2x6 on my S&W 17 but would be just as happy with a 1x4.
I also have a Burris FastFire on my 45 deer hunting rig and Ruger mkII they are great as well, But maybe not if you want to head shoot a squirrel at 50 or 75 yds.

I would cry... That is too nice of a pistol to do that. My father has the 105 or 103 i forget which one it is, I could not see a scope being put on it.

I have a Thompson Contender with multiple barrels and scopes and red dots. My go to is the red dot. SCopes show you all your jitters and breathing . Your bullet is in that red dot , its dead. I use as small a red dot as possible. $40- $60 is all you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.