Recommended Hunting Scope?

fordpwrstroke7

Not new to hunting but new to hunting with an AR15. Mostly going to hunt hogs and does. Probably no shots over 200 yards. Not sure what kind of scope/lighting setup I need.

I would like to get something with a 3+ magnification scope with a lighted reticle. Ideally, I could be hunting at night and somehow spotlight hogs with the light on my gun, put a laser dot on them with my gun and shoot them. I would like an all-in-one setup but I'm flexible.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all, so please don't take my question as such....but, you want a scope with an illuminated reticle, and a laser, and a spotlight, all mounted on your rifle?

In my opinion, if your night hunting hogs, why not use a long eye-relief scope and a pair of night-vision goggles?

Or.....if money isn't a big concern, buy some night vision goggles and a night vision scope and when you go to shoulder the rifle, just flip the goggles up out of the way so you can look through your scope.

I certainly wouldn't want a laser on anything other than a short-distance handgun in a defensive scenario. I'd never want one for hunting purposes----but that's just me. To each his own, as they say. :)

As for a spotlight----I'd avoid that too if I were you.

Try to simplify what you NEED for your purposes and buy those items. Once your in the field and actually hunting, then you can much better decide what else you might WANT.

I want all that because I have been hog hunting many times at night and I could use a lighted reticle and rifle mounted spotlight with a colored lens cover. The laser is just for when I have the gun at home and by my bed. Nice backup to my Kimber 1911.
Rather than have to prop up a separate spotlight or get a friend to do it for me, I think it would be nice to have it all on the gun. Again, I'm new to the AR15 but I have been hunting for about 12 years now.
I don't think night vision goggles are in the price range I want to spend on this. The cheapest night vision scope setup I have seen was about $600.
Anyone else have any suggestions from their personal experience hunting hogs at night like this?

USO makes a really nice dual reticle 1-4x , red dot in sfp and rangefinder regular reticle
in ffp. I think there is (in the last week) one for sale used on the hide.

The trijicon 1-4x24 is perfect for your app. if it's in your budget($850). Great glass and super fast reticle with no batteries. If you need something cheaper try a Leupold vx-r 1.24-4($450) or Nikon M223 1-4x20 or Burris Fullfield Tac 30 1.25-4(both under $300). As far as lights go, try a high lumen cree led light like a Ultrafire wf 502 or wf 900(ebay for about $40), they're about the size of a regular flashlight with a 1 inch tube for easy mounting. I have a 502 (700 lumen) and it's good for 100-150 yards easy.
Don't get hung on magnification, I watched my dad shoot coyotes for years out past 300 with a 1960s era Weaver k4. With todays better glass a good 4x will get you a lot farther than you think.
I've rigged up several ARs in times past but moved on to other things, and I've shot a lot of Texas hogs, but I think 1 good scope and 1 good light is all you need. Too many accessories may just bog you down. Hope I helped and good luck.

Shag

i'm going to suggest, that with all the light you are throwing out there you should just use an Aimpoint 1X red dot reflex sight. They also have a 3X magnifier that you can flip up or down as needed. I have one on my AR and it is great for fast shots. I zero it at 150 yards and it is near-dead-on at 25 yards - 200 yards. Very fast. If you want to dial elevation you can but it is slow. Getting on target and holding high or low becomes second nature. That is why there are so many of them in the sandpiles. Be careful not to buy the cheapos though because they won't last. Try a good manufacturer like Leupold, Aimpoint, Vortex, or others. The lack of magnification makes it very fast (using both eyes) out to about 120 yards (for my eyes).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.