Recommendations for bolt

HANGum HIGH

Have a question about my bolt. I am working on a custom rifle a little at a time. Replaced my trigger. Just received my barrel. And now I need to work on my bolt.

I am switching from a 6.5 creed to a 6.5 PRC or SAUM. I know my bolt will need work. Would it be better ( cost wise) to buy a new bolt or have a Smith do some work on mine to accept a magnum round. New to all this so any suggestions would be great! Thx.

I know smiths have different prices depending on where you are. Just looking for average prices.

I'd have your current one opened up and a Sako extractor installed. Price wise it will depend on who you use for a smith but it should be cheaper than buying a new bolt. Whatever you do don't buy a PTG bolt

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

An archery guy and my daughter is getting into hunting so I figured I'd build a rifle we could both us!

I've seen multiple things wrong with them straight from PTG as well as failure after use. Lots of issues with the size of the firing pin hole leading to guys having to get them bushed. Others I've seen crack/fracture where the bolt handle is attached to the body. Lots of others have reported similar and to make it worse they aren't known for their customer service either.

I've seen multiple things wrong with them straight from PTG as well as failure after use. Lots of issues with the size of the firing pin hole leading to guys having to get them bushed. Others I've seen crack/fracture where the bolt handle is attached to the body. Lots of others have reported similar and to make it worse they aren't known for their customer service either.

Thanks. I was considering one of their bolts. Probably just have mine reworked.

I've had poor service myself from PTG.

Is there anyone else that makes quality bolts for a 700 or a Tikka? I haven't had experience with PTG, but their poor customer service seems to be notorious. If someone made a Tikka bolt, I believe they could make a killing!

I'd have your current one opened up and a Sako extractor installed. Price wise it will depend on who you use for a smith but it should be cheaper than buying a new bolt. Whatever you do don't buy a PTG bolt

X2 on what Buster Hemlock said, with the exception I would have a pinned M16 style extractor installed, not the Sako extractor. Personally, I think the pinned M16 style is a safer choice.

I agree with the others - no on PTG. I picked up one of their blueprinted 700 actions many years ago, and it's the sloppiest fitment of any rifle I have owned (factory, semi-custom, or custom).

I have a couple PT&G bolts. Guess I must have gotten the only 3 good ones ever made. Not a single issue with any of them.

Lance I think its hit and miss depending on who they have doing the work. I personally dont get anything from them anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.