recommendation on a neck turning kit

Gary - I think you mean a tube micrometer that reads down to one ten thousandths (.0001").
I rough turn my necks with a Forester trimmer/cutter. Otherwise, its a ***. Gene

yes they often call them tube mics. The one I've always wanted is the one that you can change the anvils. I just like that little setup that Sinclair sells. It has it's own stand mount to free up your hands. They also do one with a dial indicator, but don't trust it.

I bought the Sinclair neck turner that uses the dial indicator. P.O.S. on a good day!
Took it apart and completely rebuilt it. The cutter was totally ground wrong for cutting brass and the radius was wrong. The cutter is prone to sticking on the Sinclairs, and needs some rework. Plus they are hard to get that last couple tenths adjusted out. But my main gripe with them is the adjusting screws freezing up in the aluminum body. Steel and aluminum don't mix. I made threaded sleeves out of grade eight all thread. Then Loctited them in the body. Then drilled and tapped them for the proper thread size (I think I changed them to #10-32). I bought the second cutter for $15, and it too was froze up, but knew how to fix it.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts