advise on neck turning tools

skinny pedal

i am wanting to buy a neck turning lathe but im not sure what i want. i want to be able to turn multiple calibers without breaking the bank. i have looked into the 21st century and k&m as well . also pma also looks good . i want to be able to ream the inside as well. also i would like to be able to power it with a drill or a motor of some sort.
im not new to reloading but i am new to turning necks. any advice on what tool will work for me would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
casey

Look at the Forster.

If you are going to go with larger cases, there is an extended base.

I have 2 plus a spare. one long base, one short base.

I am looking into how to neck turn 50DTC (50BMG for non-Commiefornians), CheyTac/375HE and 17/5.7x28FN. Forster doesn't fit any of those.

I don't know about any of the others mentioned, I have the k&m and if you are going to be doing several cartridges, there is a good amount of setup required each time you switch. It's a bit of guess and check when you start, I ran through 10-15 cases during setup and getting used to it. The results are great, but I only turn 1 caliber right now.

I neck turn 5 tight neck competition calibers, and use one K&M for each of them. Once set, it remains that way. This year, on the recommendation of a friend, I bought a PMA neck turner. One tool cuts all calibers but you need to buy a $50 mandrel for each. I have not yet used it, but will soon.

Be sure to buy a turner that adjusts to .0002". I also have a Forester, its a ***.

Get you a benchrite case prep lathe and a PMA model A neck turning tool and.you wil be fixed.up

I turn 6 tight neck calibers and use only K&M turning tools. Started prior to 21st Century lathe came along or I would have probably chosen it. If you use the K&M, be sure to get the heat shrink holder. After re-adjusting for a few calibers, I also set up a turner specifically for each rifle, to save time. I also went to Walmart and bought 3- 600 rpm drills w/ hex heads for about $10 each. Never worry about running out of juice. Forester is junk compared to high end turners.

thanks for all the info guys I do appreciate it. i decided to go with the k&m set up. roger seemed to be a helpful guy so he ended up getting about $350.00 out of me by the time i was done picking stuff out for multiple calibers so i guess im committed now,:)
thanks.

casey

thanks for all the info guys I do appreciate it. i decided to go with the k&m set up. roger seemed to be a helpful guy so he ended up getting about $350.00 out of me by the time i was done picking stuff out for multiple calibers so i guess im committed now,:)
thanks.

casey

Casey,

Make sure when you get the goods that the expander & turning mandrels 'mate' with each other. I've had to polish a couple of K&M expander mandrels because they opened the neck up too much to fit correctly over the turning mandrel. Doesn't take much, but right is right. Good luck, it's a good system.

Rich

thanks.

casey

One quick word of advice, no matter what system you get buy some Tap Magic. The best lubricant (cutting fluid) I've ever used for turning.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.