Recoil lug realy needed??

Your absolutly right Dave and thats a prime reason for guy to skim bed their factory stock with aluminum bedding blocks , I would skim bed this setup just to have a skin tight fit but I'm pretty sure that I can get the fit to close for the bedding to even stick.
With the proper setup and the proper use of decient dials you can fit parts to zero tolerance fit , simply holding them will heat them to much to fit together. In the case of being off .0005" yes that would cause some for of stress but being in an aluminum block that way softer than steel with a totaly differant expansion rate it doesen't matter how close your fit is the aluminum piller will expand faster than the steel screws so that is going to cause stress. Its impossible to get a TOTALY stress free situation unless everthing is built in a controled climate and the gun never leaves their or if the entire weapon was made from the same lot of material as even 4140 from two differant lots will have differant expansion parameters.
Their are things that we can't controle , all we can do is eliminate as many variables as possible and try to keep everything as close as possible. Luckly their are some folks that have the ability to work on guns daily and play with differant scenarios and situations. I suffer and I mean suffer for O.C.D. , if I were able to wonr on guns in a machine shop day in and day out just working on R & D I would work myself into a fit and have to be locked away because it seems no matter what new ideas we have if we dig back far enough sombody else has given it thought. Maybe we can improve on their desgine maybe not , that why I always think its better to have another oppinion on a situation better to have another look from outside the fog. In this case I consulted with Nathen Dagley , Kirby Allen and Don Geraci all thee of these guys build world class rifles and are fantastic machinest and all of which i hold their oppinions in the highest reguard , so they all have the same basic idea of where I was trying to go and it all boiled back down to the entire bedding block idea being more trouble that its worth when the job can be done just was well with the old style piller bedding.

OK, we're on the same page with everything, except. you're hanging an awful heavy barrel on an action that's not as strong as most.i know, you're bedding in front of the action a ways. my opinion is still the same. for the most possible accuracy, a block glued on the barrel in front of the receiver will give the best potential for accuracy. course i don't know if there are rules against this in your shooting platform. good luck, you definitely know what you're doing. let us know how big a hole it makes!

Your absolutly right Dave using a barrel block is definatly the best way to go as you can subtract the length of the block from the length opf the barrel thus makign the barrel seem way more stiff and the action being floated adds nothing to the stress.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be alright with the barrel I'm using , I've talked to a few guys that have built on the M-7 and XP-100 actions with full bull 26" barrels , all they did was piller/glass bed them and haven't had any troubles.

who knows , It'll be a learning experiance either way , just hopefully a good one

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts