rechambering????

pdkillr

Can I turn a weatherby 257 into a 280AI just by replacing or rechambering the barrel? Is bolt and magazine going to work. If not what would be the closest and easiest to make a 280AI. Other than a 280 rem, don't have one of those.
Thanks

Can I turn a weatherby 257 into a 280AI just by replacing or rechambering the barrel? Is bolt and magazine going to work. If not what would be the closest and easiest to make a 280AI. Other than a 280 rem, don't have one of those.
Thanks

Best and easiest is to re-barrel (not re-chamber a non .284 barrel) to .280AI, next is to re-chamber a .280 to .280 AI.

Look at the first sticky on this forum on bolt face diameter courtesy of JE Customs.

Bolt face is different .532 bolt face for H&H based cartridges - .257 Weatherby Magnum; .473 bolt face for -06 based cartridges - .280 Remington or .280 AI.

You could rebarrel with a 7mm Remington Magnum or a 7mm Weatherby Magnum barrel (which are both .284 bore diameter just like the .280s).

To make your rifle into a .280 or .280AI you would have to replace the bolt and the barrel. That would not be cost effective in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.