Recent AZ member and back into hunting

nw07heavy

Hi everyone,

I recently signed up on Long Range Hunter. I moved to Queen Creek/San Tan Valley, AZ after retiring in 2007, and have really enjoyed getting back into hunting after a long hiatus while living in the SF Bay Area. My current hunting weapons are a tactical TRG-42 .338 Lapua Magnum, a Winchester model 70 SA 22-250 in a HS P stock/Jewell trigger, 'tweaked' Encore 7mm-08, XP-100 in .221 Rem, new Montana AVR leftie in .416 Rem Mag, and am next going to re-barrel my Savage 110 leftie from the original .338 Win Mag I bought it in to the .264 Win Mag. This .338 Win Mag was my very first beginner's rifle, in lieu of a 22 LR, when I was 16 years old, so of course I have been reloading everything ever since then. Here in AZ I have taken a liking to javelina hunting, something very different from short range deer and elk hunting in (west side) Washington State. In October I have an antelope hunt in Wyoming, something to look forward to. I have been impressed by the experience and knowledge many of you have shown since looking into this website. Cheers to all.

NW, welcome from Goodyear, AZ . Javelina are fun to hunt, here, but they don't taste very good. Best I've had were made into chorizo.

Hi Dosh,

I, and all my friends, love my javelina 'chili' (a cross between chile and mole), as well as barbequed javelina, all of which are made from pristine javelina meat, sans tendons, silver-skin, javelina perfume, etc., and slow simmered for three hours or so. We actually prefer javelina to short time cooked venison. Nice to hear from another AZ hunter. I'm really looking forward to antelope, either in an Alsatian Baeckoffe recipe, or a hungarian meat stew.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.