New member in AZ

jlh820

Hello, I just joined a couple of days ago. While I've been shooting a long time, I'm just now getting started in long distance shooting. I don't hunt, so it will be just targets.

I just ordered a Remington 700 SPS Stainless in .308. I plan on putting a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 scope on it. I have the 2.5-16x50 on my M1A SOCOM 16 and really love that scope. But for the Remington, I plan to extend my range to 1000 yards. That may take a while, but I'll be having fun while learning the tricks.

Speaking of tricks, that's why I joined this forum... hoping to learn the tricks of the trade for long distance shooting.

Well, it's been a while since I joined. Since then I got that Remmy 700 SPS Stainless Steel in .308. I've mounted a Bushnell 2-16X50 Elite 6500 scope on it and a Harris 6-9" bipod. Everything else is pretty much stock.

But speaking of stocks, I've been looking at the Bell & Carlson Medalists stocks, but recently found out about HS Precision stocks. I've got a line on a good deal for a new one which I believe is a PSS003. I wasn't looking for a stock when I went into this LGS, but spied it before I left.

From what I've learned, the HS Precision are right up there with B&C as far as quality. I'm not looking for anything radical, but a little higher comb and that aluminum framed bedding block system.

I'll probably have to upgrade the glass on it, too. I originally bought that scope for my M1A which I don't plan on getting out beyond 300 yards. But I'd like to go further with the 700.

I just ordered rifle reloading equipment. I've been reloading pistol rounds for a while now and my current equipment won't do rifle rounds. So, I've ordered what I'm missing to get into rifle reloading. I went with Lee this time around and ordered the classic 4 stage turret and accessories to load .223 and .308.

My goal is to become somewhat proficient at 500+ yards, but that's still going to take me a while. My first set back is that my local outdoor range only goes to 200 yards unless I can get access to their long range area, which goes out to 800 yards. That's reserved for clubs, military and LE training, so looks like I'll have to join a club in order to gain access to it.

I'd shoot out in the open if I could find a good spot. I'm still looking. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.