Rebarreling Remington 760

jbronner13

I have a Remington 760 in 30-06 I purchased a while ago, had a smith look at it after purchasing and the bore has deep pitting, like deeper than a Robert Frost poem. The pitting is deep enough that it can't be rebored to 35 Whelen. I decided to shoot it to see if it could still pull off reasonable groups, it shoots about 13 MOA. It's going to need a rebarrel. After some browsing online forums, the consensus is rebarreling a 760 isn't all that straight forward and kind of a PITA due to the barrel extension, which I guess is also fragile and can easily break. Does anyone have any experience with a 760 rebarrel? Do I just order a contoured blank? Will my smith need any special equipment for the job? Does anyone know a smith who has a lot of experience with 760's? Any input would be much appreciated!

Never used them but I talked to someone there about rebarreling a 7600 and they said they could do it. So I would like to think that they could do a 760.
I guess there are some differences between the two in terms of how the bolt locks up….but worth reaching out to them to see, thanks for the info, I will shoot them an email.

Always thought a 760 or 7600 in 35 Whelen or 338-06 would be the Bee's Knees for hunting Roosevelt elk in the NW.

Especially with a 20" barrel.
I was going to do a 20" 30-06. Where I live it's just about the perfect combo for big whitetails and also good for black bears. Unfortunately no elk here in New England. I also just want to be able to pick up ammo anywhere I go with it because it will likely take up truck gun duty.

I have a Remington 760 in 30-06 I purchased a while ago, had a smith look at it after purchasing and the bore has deep pitting, like deeper than a Robert Frost poem. The pitting is deep enough that it can't be rebored to 35 Whelen. I decided to shoot it to see if it could still pull off reasonable groups, it shoots about 13 MOA. It's going to need a rebarrel. After some browsing online forums, the consensus is rebarreling a 760 isn't all that straight forward and kind of a PITA due to the barrel extension, which I guess is also fragile and can easily break. Does anyone have any experience with a 760 rebarrel? Do I just order a contoured blank? Will my smith need any special equipment for the job? Does anyone know a smith who has a lot of experience with 760's? Any input would be much appreciated!
You could likely find a new 7600 NIB for what you might spend on a rebarrel? 13MOA is not all that uncommon but, hey… it was built for close work! See throughs?

Just buy a new gun or a used 760. LOL

You could likely find a new 7600 NIB for what you might spend on a rebarrel? 13MOA is not all that uncommon but, hey… it was built for close work! See throughs?
Not a long range rifle for sure but they should shoot 1" groups at 100yds no trouble. Mine always have as well as my parents' rifles and uncles, and cousins rifles, all 760, 7600, model 6's. Work fine for out to 300yds. Even mom's 30-06 carbine 760.