Rebarrel Rem 700 ss with .540 bolt face

I'm sure there are several threads on this. But with that being said here I go.

I have a Remington 700 ss chambered in 7mm Rum. With a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50.
I'm wanting to rebarrel it with a Proof Research Carbon barrel in 28". With 7 Rum brass being harder and harder to find, the question I can't seem to answer for myself is what caliber? I keep going back in forth on several. 28 nosler, 300 Rum, 33 nosler, 338 Rum and so on. Also I know increasing the barrel length 2" will increase velocity some, but how much should I reasonably expect and how does that effect barrel life?

The rifle will be mainly be used to hunt elk in northern Colorado. Where I hunt your shots are normally 250-600 yards.

I have had/used both the 300 and 338 RUMs. I had a rifle built for my returning Marine SIL from Iraq, 2006. It was a stainless Mod 700 (originally a factory 300 RUM but barrel was bad) had a Shilen SS Match Select put on and chambered to 300 RUM. I worked up a good load witht he 200 NAB and Retumbo. Later, he put a Husquema (sp?) scope on it. he has shot it out to a 1000 at rocks, but he killed a big cow elk over 440yds like nobodies business! If you want a bonafide elk rifle, go with the 300 RUM and a 200gr or heavier bullet! I love the 333 RUM too but brass is pretty hard to find (or was) a few years back. But for elk/deer, the 300 is your huckleberry!

My .300RUM is my dedicated LR elk rifle. I push a 230 Hybrid @ 3068, and it flattens elk like a lightning strike. Longest elk shot has "only" been 882 with it, but it has taken a bunch of elk with authority from 80 to 432 too.

I think anything from 26 Nosler to .338 Edge would be a great choice for elk.

pay to play or think outside the box. 2inchs will gain you approx. 70-80 feet per second, and has no bearing on bbl life,just weight and velocity. Welcome to the forum!.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.