Real Hunters?

I'll admit it , I'm not a real hunter ladies and gents . I hunt bear with hounds , whitetail with bow, crossbow , rifle, and muzzleloader. I try to get as close to my quarry as possible . I hunt almost all small and edible game . And over the last 18 years I've introduced 12 children to what I call hunting. Sorry if that's not what you call a hunter , but that's ok cause I'm sure that it's all good

That's not how your OP came off. That burns each and every one of us sooner of later. Communicating, especially for those of us that are older is much more difficult in print than in person. Please don't hide or run off, just choose your words more carefully. When I get attacked here I usually deserve it.
Like I stated before and I though it was clearly imo in stated in the post.
However since I am a 71 year old machinist with a long list of ailments that prevent me form hunting for longer distances on foot aswell ,I also fall into the disabled as was outlined in the post.
The post was however was not proof read by a Philadelphia lawyer and since English is my second language I should have, and for that I apologize.
As for running off I am not a runner off kinde guy and replied to the post's that needed it.
Regards Martin

Ok fellas, may I make a request? I'm certain that no one here is actually interested in the witty banter, but everyone just wants to see the memes, gifs etc…. I issue a challenge that we only respond with memes or gifs or whatever else adequately conveys our thoughts and emotions through visual aids.

Attachments

• CAA02BD7-A365-4451-9109-01BEA91608E6.jpeg
    CAA02BD7-A365-4451-9109-01BEA91608E6.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 111
Tim Wells is one of the few hunters that uses the old fashioned way. He throws a spear! Bear, deer, Cape buffalo, alligator, he throws a spear.
I would challenge the notion that a spear is old-fashioned… by the simple realization that its invention/ development was to progress technology from the state before it. Every innovation has done the same. "Old-fashioned" is using the best available technology….this whole post is confusing one person's definition of sportsmanship with hunting abilities. The two are not the same thing. The modern notion of ethics that we throw over killing is situational at best. I guarantee you, no caveman passed on a meal because bubba had attached a stick to his rock and was no longer a real hunter… the OP says that you must know everything about the quarry to qualify. BS you must master your quarry, by learning enough about it to kill it. Unless you're a deer scientist you don't qualify by his definition!… plus, the OP only say "good marksman". Why stop there? If you haven't mastered your rifle to be at least ( arbitrary #) a 1000 yd marksman then you're not a real hunter. What about the rest of your gear? Example I have some of the latest technical clothing, I've also hunted in handmade fur trade era clothing, does that mean I've mastered the extremes and can qualify as a real hunter now? I have a fancy hitech steel knife, I've also forged my own. Do I get to check that block towards a real hunter status? What about mastering the environment? If you're not a doctor of ecology are you a real hunter? I work my land some to improve habitat, can I check that block now?… also for all you "meat hunters" out there. How many of you are going to starve if you don't hunt, vs how many choose to fill your freezer because you like it? If you're not dependent on that meat to survive, stfu, you're humble bragging, implying that kill is more harmonious with nature or something. I love deer meat, I don't act like its my sole mesns of survival for sanctimonious bragging rights.

I spend 100 to 128 days a season in the field hunting something with a game getter in my pocession. I am seldom more than 20 miles from my home where ive lived sense 1980. Ive given even bushes names ( eg, the invisible bush) from prior hunts, some game has been named too (the dor jam buck) and a grouse calld Moby Dick. Am I a hunter you call it but I do eat 90% wild game.
You answered the question
Thank you

I'll admit it , I'm not a real hunter ladies and gents . I hunt bear with hounds , whitetail with bow, crossbow , rifle, and muzzleloader. I try to get as close to my quarry as possible . I hunt almost all small and edible game . And over the last 18 years I've introduced 12 children to what I call hunting. Sorry if that's not what you call a hunter , but that's ok cause I'm sure that it's all good
It seems to me you did your hun ting before you released the dogs

Like I stated before and I though it was clearly imo in stated in the post.
However since I am a 71 year old machinist with a long list of ailments that prevent me form hunting for longer distances on foot aswell ,I also fall into the disabled as was outlined in the post.
The post was however was not proof read by a Philadelphia lawyer and since English is my second language I should have, and for that I apologize.
As for running off I am not a runner off kinde guy and replied to the post's that needed it.
Regards Martin
Since everyone else took it another way, I would go with that. AND we do try and give folks who's second language is English a break, You deserve one too, you didn't convey what you wanted to say. Everyone misses the target sometimes.

Last edited:
I would challenge the notion that a spear is old-fashioned… by the simple realization that its invention/ development was to progress technology from the state before it. Every innovation has done the same. "Old-fashioned" is using the best available technology….this whole post is confusing one person's definition of sportsmanship with hunting abilities. The two are not the same thing. The modern notion of ethics that we throw over killing is situational at best. I guarantee you, no caveman passed on a meal because bubba had attached a stick to his rock and was no longer a real hunter… the OP says that you must know everything about the quarry to qualify. BS you must master your quarry, by learning enough about it to kill it. Unless you're a deer scientist you don't qualify by his definition!… plus, the OP only say "good marksman". Why stop there? If you haven't mastered your rifle to be at least ( arbitrary #) a 1000 yd marksman then you're not a real hunter. What about the rest of your gear? Example I have some of the latest technical clothing, I've also hunted in handmade fur trade era clothing, does that mean I've mastered the extremes and can qualify as a real hunter now? I have a fancy hitech steel knife, I've also forged my own. Do I get to check that block towards a real hunter status? What about mastering the environment? If you're not a doctor of ecology are you a real hunter? I work my land some to improve habitat, can I check that block now?… also for all you "meat hunters" out there. How many of you are going to starve if you don't hunt, vs how many choose to fill your freezer because you like it? If you're not dependent on that meat to survive, stfu, you're humble bragging, implying that kill is more harmonious with nature or something. I love deer meat, I don't act like its my sole mesns of survival for sanctimonious bragging rights.
Like I stated before its not about equipment or gear.
Its about hunting ,its helpful if you know if you track a bull or a cow,if you need a cow call because the bull elk wont answer the bugle (maybe other hunters will)because you are in a heavy hunted area , that bedded down big horns always have a century constantly screening the mountains (they have better eyesight than you) etc etc.
As far as marksmanship that is determined by the distance and the hunters ability to kill at that distance for a human kill😏

Well I'd like to meet the one who knows "everything " pretty tall order.
That would be God.... Not someone I hope to meet soon. Someday, just not soon!!!
One thing I learned about patterning game many years ago, "Just when you thing you have it figured out, they will change". Scientists swear animals only use instinct and do not think. I think those arrogant suckers have never watched a Buck standing in a fork in a trail deciding which way to go or have ever owned a dog.