real hunter over-pressure experiences, not your friend

I'm currently having issues with my wife's 204. Using 32 gr varminator with vv n140 I developed the load in the winter and I'm .5 gr under book max but I'm literally blowing case necks off the other day when we took it out and it's warm. Kind of puzzled, but I'm gonna wait until winter to try that load again
Does that happen to be an AR platform 204??

I'm currently having issues with my wife's 204. Using 32 gr varminator with vv n140 I developed the load in the winter and I'm .5 gr under book max but I'm literally blowing case necks off the other day when we took it out and it's warm. Kind of puzzled, but I'm gonna wait until winter to try that load again

I'm using a 32gr VMax with 29.5gr (max) of N140 for 4,225fps out of a 26" barrel. Been using it for years and never blew a case.

What do you think is going on with yours?

The ONLY problem I have EVER had loading at the upper end ( MAX LOAD) was when using a stiff load in my 25-06, RE22 powder and a 100gr BT. I worked this load up during early spring, it was fine at those temps, in summer though, that load blew primers and locked the bolt solid.
From that experience, I work up all my loads in summer, if the temp is lower than 30 C I don't bother doing work ups.

As far as dirt, water or oil goes, raising pressure enough to cause an issue is very rare.
I have oiled, greased and wet cartridges to SEE what happens. The ONLY visual thing that occurs is the EXTRA bolt thrust, it shows up as an ejector mark, but the primer pocket DOESN'T enlarge any. Even over the chrony there is no significant increase in ACTUAL velocity, with the Pressure Trace, there is no large pressure variation either.

I have had an issue with 'stuff' left in chambers prior to shooting, patch threads, bits of brass, bullet jacket and even a plastic tip from a bullet. They all left impressions on the brass cases, no other issues were noted, however.

As long as you stick with published data, 99% of the time a max load will/should be perfectly safe, it the 1% you need to look out for, such as my example above regarding temperature when shooting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
:)

I had the exact same thing happen. Had a HOT load in one of my first 7 mags, that I worked up in the winter time. Took it out in the summer, and could barely get the bolt opened. Now I work up all my loads when it's warm outside. Plus now I've gotten over the speed bug. Now I'm after the best accuracy, even if it's with a slower fps. I'm running my 7 saum and 7 mag currently around 2750 fps, but they're also driving tacks.

Grab a jug of Reloader 10x. I have excellent results with it in my 204 ruger, and 32 gr bullets.

I'm using a 32gr VMax with 29.5gr (max) of N140 for 4,225fps out of a 26" barrel. Been using it for years and never blew a case.

What do you think is going on with yours?
Im not sure yet. I cleaned the bore but it wasn't overly dirty. I have some 32gr vmax loaded up I'm gonna try and see what happens.
I'm at 28.5gr of n140, it is a compressed load though, there's no way I could get 29.5 in there.

Does that happen to be an AR platform 204??
It's in a ruger m77

It's not just over pressure loads that can have problems. This case was fired with a load of Trailboss powder while doing some testing. This load is probably only generating around 30K PSI.
L80Cvf9.jpg

A rain squall came through just like it would during hunting season and this round got wet as I dropped it into the chamber. I fired 10 shots with identical loads and the only case that ruptured was the one that got wet. I'm tempted to try and duplicate the event to see if that's really what caused the case to rupture.

Im not sure yet. I cleaned the bore but it wasn't overly dirty. I have some 32gr vmax loaded up I'm gonna try and see what happens.
I'm at 28.5gr of n140, it is a compressed load though, there's no way I could get 29.5 in there.

It's in a ruger m77

Crazy...wonder why? Maybe my chamber is long but I put 29.5 grains in their and it's not all the way to mouth of case.

Crazy...wonder why? Maybe my chamber is long but I put 29.5 grains in their and it's not all the way to mouth of case.
I was perplexed at the time of loading. I think I recalibrated my scale and had the same results. It's strange for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.