350 Legend Over Pressure

Seabeeken

A friend called yesterday after shooting his 350 Legend and told me he had loads developed in colder weather that were showing extractor marks. He had to hammer the bolt open for one round. He was using Lil-Gun powder and a Hornady 147 gr XTP bullet for plinking loads. He had no chrono data but his load of 27.1 gr was within Hodgdons safe range of 27-28.5 gr for the 147 gr bullet. He said Hornady told him to start at 27 gr as it was minimum for a 150 gr bullet. I scratched my head a bit over it and recalled my 454 isn't recommended to use standard XTP bullets at Casull pressures because the jacket will swell and send pressures skyrocketing and Hornady makes a heavy jacketed magnum bullet for the 454. I think maybe the extra 30 degrees was enough to raise pressure to the point the XTP deformed entering the throat. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Nope but easy way to cure that. If it's just plinking rounds back off a full grain and a half. I'm willing to bet it was not just the temp.
I shoot lil gun in a lot of my stuff. It's never been bad reloading in mich cool weather and hunting in Texas and Florida. I'm not running them soft either. So it was either bullet or he slipped up on his reloading somewhere.

Nope but easy way to cure that. If it's just plinking rounds back off a full grain and a half. I'm willing to bet it was not just the temp.
I shoot lil gun in a lot of my stuff. It's never been bad reloading in mich cool weather and hunting in Texas and Florida. I'm not running them soft either. So it was either bullet or he slipped up on his reloading somewhere.
He says each load was weighed. I asked him to pull the remaining bullets and weight the charges

I would check the cases for scratches indicating a rough chamber surface. I had this happen on a different caliber one time shooting Hornady factory loads. Had to use a cleaning rod to get the case out.

He says each load was weighed. I asked him to pull the remaining bullets and weight the charges
I would hope he did that. But mistakes happen is what I was getting at.
I don't think it was a heat issue. Unless his ammo was well over 100 degrees. I've loaded lil gun in that caliber in 40 degrees and shot it at 70-80. No issues. Had larger swings using it max load in 300blk. That's all I was saying I think it is something else. But if he is just plinking I would still back off a grain. Why not save powder and barrel

Folks at our range ran into problems of over pressure in their 350 Legend rifle.
Turns out the 350 Legend shoots a .355 bullet in factory loads but they were loading cast bullets the same diameter of their 357 mags that measured .358.That will create pressure problems as I see it.
I think this guy nailed it after your bullet comment. Lots of confusion about bullet size and I bet he's right I bet it's a .357 bullet.
The bad part about that is some legends actually will shoot them. But most will show pressure.
In fact enough confusion happened that just to be safe I shipped mine out to hammer so they could measure and make sure they had it right.
If your buddy wants a load for hammer bullets I have a dandy that works in the 4 I did all the same.

Folks at our range ran into problems of over pressure in their 350 Legend rifle.
Turns out the 350 Legend shoots a .355 bullet in factory loads but they were loading cast bullets the same diameter of their 357 mags that measured .358.That will create pressure problems as I see it.
We had a customer blow up a rifle using .357 XTP's.
(He was not injured)
Not the bullets fault, as the throat and barrel are made for .355.

With some thought into the 350 legend. It has been brought to my attention that with so many diameter bullets in that range. You better have your scrooples about you! And match up bore to bullet. Now this is not based on personal experience. Just a friend that owns one trying to find the right sized projectiles to throw through it. I suggested he should slug the bore………..go from there.

With some thought into the 350 legend. It has been brought to my attention that with so many diameter bullets in that range. You better have your scrooples about you! And match up bore to bullet. Now this is not based on personal experience. Just a friend that owns one trying to find the right sized projectiles to throw through it. I suggested he should slug the bore………..go from there.
You hit the nail on the head brother.Thats what I told the guys at our range,slug the barrel and measure.Don't guess

I have been using Hodgon's load data from their reloading website for Win 296 for a 147 grain .355 diameter full metal jacket bullet. Their starting load of 27.0 grains Win 296 showed pressure signs of flat and primers on spent cases. Now I am in the process of backing that load down now by over one grain. I think their load data is simply too hot and needs to be reevaluated. I also had this problem with a 170 grain Hornady spire point. Where they're published range on when 296 is 24.0 grains to 26.7 grains. When I laddered the loads at 26.0 grains I experienced some blown primers. I have contacted them twice asking them to please retest and republish their load data.