Ready or not, Friendship bound May 2nd

Encore,

Alrighty. . . how was the big shoot? We're waiting to here how you did and anything new learned. :D

First let me just say........... WHAT AN ADVENTURE! Man that was fun!

Now to reality..... It was an awful lot to absorb for a "first timer", who had no clue what was going to happen or, what was going on. However a guy I communicate with on FB took me under his wing and really helped.

I left home on Friday early in the morning and made it to Versailles, where I'd booked my room. Long drive of just about 9 hours and way to much construction on I-75. Pretty much all the way from Toledo to Cincinnati. I took the drive down to Friendship just to look the range and facilities over, then back for something to eat and then the rack. Saturday I arrived early so I could send a couple rounds and foul up the barrel. The guy that helped me all day, offered to spot my foulers and I chose the chickens at 400 yards. He got his spotting scope set and I sent the first round.... BONG... and down went a turkey! I loaded the rifle back up and then sent the second round..... BONG.... down went the second turkey. That' when he stated, "well the scope is zeroed". He asked me if I wanted to shoot another and I thought, what the heck. So I loaded it back up again. Then he told me that I'd be shooting at the third turkey. With 3 turkeys left, I settled on the third turkey and sent the round.... BONG .... down went the turkey. THAT WAS MY FIRST MISTAKE AND LEARNED LESSON. He told me that even though I shot the turkey, I shot the wrong turkey and it wouldn't count in a match. I know I looked at him funny then said to him that he told me to shoot the third turkey, which I did. THAT'S when he explained, I was to shoot from left to right and the turkeys were numbered from left to right.... 1,2,3,4,5. When he told me I would be shooting at number 3, it was the third from the left and the next bird standing, not the third bird up there. MY FIRST LESSON LEARNED. But, dang it, I killed the turkey :)

When the match started, you could pretty much say I had no clue what was going on. Although he was shooting quite aways down the line, he told me that everyone would walk out and hang a 50yd target, then come back and shoot. 30 minutes total, which included any sighters. 5 shots for score on individual targets in 30 minutes. Then we took the 100yd target with us, went out and retrieved the 50, then walked to 100 and placed the new target. Then rush back to the bench, take the target (with your name on it) to the scoring bench, then back to your bench for the 100yd relay. Same procedure, shoot, go retrieve the target and hang the 200, to the scoring table and then to the bench. This time it was only 8 shots total at 200yds, with the best 5 counting for score. Wouldn't you know it, the guy next to me screwed up and shot my target once :( I was counting my rounds by leaving my tubes on the loading bench. I explained it to the scoring table, who threw it and my worst 3 out.

Then there was this "mad rush" of shooters, who started carrying tables down the line to another area. That area filled with tables quickly, so mine stayed where it was. The guy that had been giving me advice let me shoot with him and another in the steel relays. We broke for lunch and when we started, it had warmed up significantly. The range sits inside a bowl and you shoot from the bottom to the side. There wasn't much wind but, it could come from any direction, cross each other or, blow one way 1/2 way to the target, and blow a different way the other 1/2.

I shot the steel pigs at 300 meters in the first relay. I took down 3 of them, then the barrel was getting hot. My spotter was showing me on a card where my bullets struck each time and, each time they were getting higher on the pigs. Trying to compensate cost me the last two pigs in the relay.

Then we shot the steel chickens at 200 meters in the next relay. Although its 100 meters closer, those darn chickens are much smaller. Again I knocked down 3 and left two.

I will say this much, I had a ball and am very happy I attended. Myself, I feel I shot very well for a "first timer" and was happy with my score of 154 with a possible max score of 170 and 15X. I felt better about it, when other complemented my score as a "first timer". I was place in the Unlimited Class, because of the weight of the rifle. Basically shooting with all other custom built rifles. Anything less than 10# went into what was called the "Hunter Class". I think I ended up 9th of 17 shooters in the Unlimited Class. I'm very happy with that. What latterly killed me, was my poor showing on the 200yd paper target.

I met a whole range full of great people. Nobody was hiding anything from anyone else and everyone was willing to help or share. Beautiful range, beautiful area. I drove 1, 084 miles and spent about 18 hours driving. It was worth it but, I was tired.

Here's the score sheet at the scoring table. There were some great shooters there.

Knight rifles was there and furnished a rifle for a random drawing of those who competed. Nope, I didn't win it. The rifle furnished by Knight for the random draw is the TOP rifle in this photo. The bottom rifle is the new Knight 500, yet to be released. Its a .45cal and has a 1:18 twist. That rifle went back with the Knight team.

I like the stock and barrel on that Knight 500. Kinda looks like an F Class Rifle also. Long heavy barrel , adjustable cheek piece, bet it has a light trigger also. Looks like a Manners. Nice score for 1st time or whether you have been shooting for a while.

shame they used replacement barrels on them. It would be interesting to see what a factory rifle could do without any mods.

Knight showed off one of its new .45cal rifles at the match. She's going to be a good one..........

Bottom rifle (black) is the new .45 and the top rifle was given away by drawing, of those who shot in the match. Unfortunately, my name wasn't drawn.

oh lordy i just noticed the tactical cheek piece. I really hope they dont go that route with the tactical stuff.
Shoot FG, I love the cheek piece, I have it on some of my match rifles and really like it. I know it don't look good on a M.L. But I think it helps me shoot better. Reminds me of a Manners stock. It has a butt hook for shooting off of rear bags and a wide forearm for front bags also.

Last edited:
oh lordy i just noticed the tactical cheek piece. I really hope they dont go that route with the tactical stuff.

Some may call it "tactical", others including Knight, will call it adjustable. The barrel is precision made by GM and not a common production barrel. Its going to be a very accurate rifle from Knight. If one doesn't want the cheek piece or, need it raised, it drops completely down.
Knight has recognized that modern in-line shooters are striving for tighter groups and long range capability. There is a VERY LONG LINE of shooters waiting for this rifle to hit the market.

Edit: Not certain but, I believe I heard the only thing holding up the production and sale of this new rifle, has something to do with stock availability. I may have heard the name "Boyd"????? Please don't quote me on that, as I'm not exactly sure. I was to busy trying to pay attention to what was happening at the match.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.